Re: solder paste choice

  • Ronny Eia
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 1:41 PM
      No-clean. It can stay on if I'm lazy, or I can wash it off with rubbing alcohol or ultrasonic bath.
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 8:43 PM
        I choose water soluble. washing it works great at home and work with no problems. NoClean leaves residue which you can leave, looks crappy, hard to clean off and has caused problems in RF circuits.

        Brian

        --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, DJ Delorie <dj@...> wrote:

        > Basic question: no-clean or water soluble?

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1 8:49 PM
          At work we also use a large industrial washer and have no problems with the boards. I also like WS for touchups. Leaded is great, leadfree sucks all the way around. Oh by the way, I was using sponges to clean my tips off, leadfree... Now I use the brass brilo. it works great for removing oxides and doesnt damage the tip that I can tell, I havent had any problems so far. leaded I still use a sponge.

          Brian

          --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Erik Knise <elknise@...> wrote:

          > With water soluble you really need to have a good cleaning system to
          > get ALL of the flux out from underneath the parts. At my last job we
          > had a large industrial washer. It worked fairly well, but in certain
          > areas it would not clean very well...
          >
          > I still prefer using water soluble because it's easier for me to touch
          > up. I've always just washed it off with extremely hot water and
          > scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Worked fine, but I never had very many
          > large parts on the boards I've washed by hand.
          >
          > I personally prefer the look of a nice clean board verses one covered
          > in no-clean or rosin core flux.
          >
          > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Basic question: no-clean or water soluble?
          > >

          > --
          > Erik L. Knise
          > Pacific Shipping Company
          > Seattle, WA

        • Stefan Trethan
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1 10:08 PM
            No-clean for me.

            I just don't see how I could get the water soluble out from under QFN
            packages and similar tight spots.

            ST
          • DJ Delorie
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2 8:40 AM
              You folks aren't making this easy for me... ;-)

              One thing I noticed about my current no-clean is that the residue has
              (relatively) low resistance. If I have a 25 mil gap between power and
              ground, an inch of that results in 330k between them. I end up
              scraping between traces to get the hardened residue off.

              I wonder if a waterpik would be enough to get those hard-to-reach
              places that make people avoid water soluble flux? I do have some QFNs
              in my current project...
            • Stefan Trethan
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2 12:13 PM
                I don't think mine is so conductive - I hope not.

                I can't imagine how anything can get the crud out from under a QFN
                package. Even a BGA seems relatively easy by comparision. Basically
                any component that sits flush against the board would seem pretty much
                impossible to me.... (Obviously there ought to be ways that I can't
                think of).

                ST

                On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@...> wrote:

                > You folks aren't making this easy for me...  ;-)
                >
                > One thing I noticed about my current no-clean is that the residue has
                > (relatively) low resistance.  If I have a 25 mil gap between power and
                > ground, an inch of that results in 330k between them.  I end up
                > scraping between traces to get the hardened residue off.
                >
                > I wonder if a waterpik would be enough to get those hard-to-reach
                > places that make people avoid water soluble flux?  I do have some QFNs
                > in my current project...

              • Brian
                Message 7 of 12 , May 15 6:31 PM
                  Noclean is hard to clean and may be conductive. I had problems in rf circuits even with my mega8 running at 8MHz. Just today I reworked 21 QFN's with water soluble flux and just swishing them in a tub of 140 degree water and drying the board they worked at 1 GHz. There was no problem washing the flux from under the part, it seems.

                  Brian

                  --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

                  > No-clean for me.
                  >
                  > I just don't see how I could get the water soluble out from under QFN
                  > packages and similar tight spots.
                  >
                  > ST

                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 15 7:25 PM
                    Talking about QFN's, they dont really sit flush. I use a 10X scope at work and can't see a gap but flushing with water cleans it out. There is the gap of solder between them that water can get to. It is easier to remove WS than NoClean (NC). Even hot tapwater will wash it out.

                    Brian

                    --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

                    > I don't think mine is so conductive - I hope not.
                    >
                    > I can't imagine how anything can get the crud out from under a QFN
                    > package. Even a BGA seems relatively easy by comparision. Basically
                    > any component that sits flush against the board would seem pretty much
                    > impossible to me.... (Obviously there ought to be ways that I can't
                    > think of).
                    >
                    > ST
                    >

                    > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > You folks aren't making this easy for me...  ;-)
                    > >
                    > > One thing I noticed about my current no-clean is that the residue has
                    > > (relatively) low resistance.  If I have a 25 mil gap between power and
                    > > ground, an inch of that results in 330k between them.  I end up
                    > > scraping between traces to get the hardened residue off.
                    > >
                    > > I wonder if a waterpik would be enough to get those hard-to-reach
                    > > places that make people avoid water soluble flux?  I do have some QFNs
                    > > in my current project...

                  • Philip Pemberton
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 16 11:56 AM
                      Brian wrote:
                      > Noclean is hard to clean and may be conductive. I had problems in rf
                      > circuits even with my mega8 running at 8MHz. Just today I reworked 21 QFN's
                      > with water soluble flux and just swishing them in a tub of 140 degree water
                      > and drying the board they worked at 1 GHz. There was no problem washing the
                      > flux from under the part, it seems.

                      I was under the impression that most water-soluble fluxes were corrosive to
                      some degree, and that No-Clean wasnt?

                      Although to be truthful I tend to use rosin-core solder wire and clean with
                      IPA. Not sure what's in the solder paste, though (without digging it out of
                      the sealed bag in the fridge and reading the label, anyway).

                      --
                      Phil.
                      ygroups@...
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 16 7:06 PM
                        I will find out what kind of WS flux and paste we use at work and let you know monday.

                        Brian

                        P.S. I just made a board with a SMD mega8 using WS flux and used hot tap water to clean it and it works and looks great.