Re: Cutting a pcb

  • pork_u_pine2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
      --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Lee Studley <indigo_red@...> wrote:

      > I also have a big harbor freight shear that I use for PCB's etc.
      >-Lee

      I have one of the small shear/breaks that Micro Mark advertises. They
      can be ordered from Harbor Freight I believe, as well. I don't
      remember which I got mine from. For my modest uses it works very
      well. It cuts FR4 cleanly.

      I do tend to stick to 0.030 and thinner stock. I can't think of much
      reason to use thicker material for most of my projects. I like to
      stick to euro-card sizes like 160 x 100 mm (6.3" x 3.9") and
      especially 80 x 100 mm (3.15" x 3.9") for most projects as it reduces
      the packaging issues. But increasingly I use smaller boards than
      that. So flexing is less of an issue than weight and thickness.
      Anyway, for my purposes that little shear has been one of my best
      investments.

      -- Dave
    • Dave McD
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
        Is it this benchtop shear at HF you guys are using?

        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90757

        dave mc

      • Lee Studley
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
          Dave,
          That's a nice unit you have. It looks well made, shouldn't have the
          issue that I had.

          Once I shimmed mine, it works great. Did yours have an angle to the
          shear blade built in?

          -Lee
        • Dave McD
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2008
            Lee, I actually don't own that shear.  I'm just asking if this is the Harbor Freight unit you guys have been talking about.  How much did u pay for yours?

            dave

          • Lee Studley
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2008
              I think that is like the one Dave has.

              The one I had to repair is:
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5907

              -Lee
            • Dennis
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
                Hi Dave,
                --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Dave McD <davemac2@...> wrote:

                > Lee, I actually don't own that shear.  I'm just asking if this is the
                > Harbor Freight unit you guys have been talking about.  How much did u
                > pay for yours?

                I've been using that shear for several years now. I see that the price
                has gone up about 40% from when I bought mine.

                I've been using it to cut 0.060" CEM-1 and FR-4. It only handles stock
                up to 10" wide.

                Regards,
                Dennis