Re: [Homebrew_PCBs] Solder Mask?

  • keith
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      On Monday 01 October 2007 00:44, JanRwl@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 9/30/2007 8:57:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > rottenrobbie0@... writes:
      >
      > My interest is in a coating that protect the copper from oxidation with
      > age. I don't have a provlem soldering.<<
      As an "aftercoat" you might try some of the spray "clearcoat" that Walmart
      sells in the automotive section (assuming you are inthe US). It shold be
      tougher than the clear Krylon.
      --
      Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC
    • Ben
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
        > > My interest is in a coating that protect the copper from oxidation
        with
        > > age. I don't have a provlem soldering.<<
        > As an "aftercoat" you might try some of the spray "clearcoat" that
        Walmart
        > sells in the automotive section (assuming you are inthe US). It shold
        be
        > tougher than the clear Krylon.

        I use Clear Lacquer Spray, get it in the paint dept of whatever Home
        Improvement Store you have in your area. I also do positive resist and
        leave the resist on, spray with clear lacquer after soldering. See the
        PCB on the home page of this group.

        Ben
      • Ted Bruce KX4OM
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
          I did some tests using three types of resists; the results are in
          Ted-KX4OM in Photos. I tried Future Floor Finish, spar varnish, and
          PolyCrylic. All three are good for protection after etching.

          PolyCrylic was by far the most difficult to solder through. Future is
          very easy to solder through. It is not so good as a resist. Future
          is pleasant to use; it smells really, really good when soldering :)
          One bottle is cheap, and will last a lifetime, give or take a couple
          of years.

          The only downside to Future is that if any chemicals are still present
          on the board after washing, it will turn into a green crackle finish
          at the location of the chemicals.

          Future is also good for applying decals, homemade, or otherwise.

          Regards,
          Ted

          --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bhleavi@...> wrote:

          > > > My interest is in a coating that protect the copper from oxidation
          > with
          > > > age. I don't have a provlem soldering.<<
          > > As an "aftercoat" you might try some of the spray "clearcoat" that
          > Walmart
          > > sells in the automotive section (assuming you are inthe US). It shold
          > be
          > > tougher than the clear Krylon.
          >

          > I use Clear Lacquer Spray, get it in the paint dept of whatever Home
          > Improvement Store you have in your area. I also do positive resist and
          > leave the resist on, spray with clear lacquer after soldering. See the
          > PCB on the home page of this group.
          >

          > Ben

        • Mark Brueggemann
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2007
            If I want that "extra touch" for homebrew PCB's (say, something
            used for a presentation) I'll use model candy spray paint (Testors).
            Candy green looks just like a screened resist, and solder burns
            through it just as readily as anything else. Candy blue and red
            also look great. Otherwise for "production" I usually use $1.99
            clear enamel.

            Mark K5LXP
            Albuquerque, NM