Re: flexible pcb material?

  • pork_u_pine2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
      Probably, but expensive and useless are in the eye of the beholder,
      and I have yet to behold. Hope springs eternal, to coin a cliche or
      three...

      -- Dave

      --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, guja <guja2001bg@...> wrote:

      > expensive & useless stuff, unless you make (expensive) fly-swatter.
      > :)))

    • Chris Hart
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
        For my uses, I have found the boards that are just a bunch of single
        hole solder pads are usless for my purposes, but I did find some very
        thin board material on ebay a while ago that is thin enough to fit
        through a standard inkjet printer, and I have successfully cut it with
        scisors. It is flexible, but I wouldn't count on flexing it under parts,
        if you value your solder pads.

        Chris Hart
        pork_u_pine2000 wrote:

        > Probably, but expensive and useless are in the eye of the beholder,
        > and I have yet to behold. Hope springs eternal, to coin a cliche or
        > three...
        >
        > -- Dave
        >
        > --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:Homebrew_PCBs%40yahoogroups.com>, guja <guja2001bg@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > expensive & useless stuff, unless you make (expensive) fly-swatter.
        > > :)))

      • rubines2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
          Hi Group

          I also dont think they are useless, but they are expensive indeed.
          For flexible led clusters for example, this matereal should be great.

          Cheers
          Michael

          --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "pork_u_pine2000" <wittend@...>
          wrote:

          > Probably, but expensive and useless are in the eye of the beholder,
          > and I have yet to behold. Hope springs eternal, to coin a cliche or
          > three...
          >
          > -- Dave
          >
          > --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, guja <guja2001bg@> wrote:
          > >
          > > expensive & useless stuff, unless you make (expensive) fly-swatter.
          > > :)))

        • Len Warner
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
            Can anyone suggest a UK supplier of small quantities
            (i.e. offcuts) of flexible or thin scissor-cut pcb stock?

            Possibly a board manufacturer in the North London/Mid Herts
            area who is willing to sell scrap on the doorstep for cash,
            to minimise paperwork and carriage.

            I know I can order small sheets of flexible from Mega in
            Cambridge for a fairly high price but I could utitilise pieces
            2 inches square or less and I'm hoping I can get it cheap.

            Regards, LenW
          • Leon
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
              x----- Original Message -----
              > Can anyone suggest a UK supplier of small quantities
              > (i.e. offcuts) of flexible or thin scissor-cut pcb stock?
              >
              > Possibly a board manufacturer in the North London/Mid Herts
              > area who is willing to sell scrap on the doorstep for cash,
              > to minimise paperwork and carriage.
              >
              > I know I can order small sheets of flexible from Mega in
              > Cambridge for a fairly high price but I could utitilise pieces
              > 2 inches square or less and I'm hoping I can get it cheap.

              I'd find a local PCB manufacturer and scrounge some offcuts from them. I've
              done that a couple of times. It was a firm I used for work, which helped, of
              course.

              Leon
            • Zoran A. Scepanovic
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2007
                Hello Len,

                > Can anyone suggest a UK supplier of small quantities
                > (i.e. offcuts) of flexible or thin scissor-cut pcb stock?

                > Possibly a board manufacturer in the North London/Mid Herts
                > area who is willing to sell scrap on the doorstep for cash,
                > to minimise paperwork and carriage.

                > I know I can order small sheets of flexible from Mega in
                > Cambridge for a fairly high price but I could utitilise pieces
                > 2 inches square or less and I'm hoping I can get it cheap.

                > Regards, LenW

                In approx a month of time, Guja can organize a friend to bring one
                A4 sheet of thin, flexible FR-4 for you to pick it up somwhere in
                London.

                If interrested, just reply on private mail to work things out.

                --
                Best regards,
                Zoran A. Scepanovic

                *********
                Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!
                *********

                Please be advised what was said may be absolutely wrong,
                and hereby this disclaimer follows.
                I reserve the right to be wrong and admit it in front of the entire world.

                Local time: 9:24

              • pork_u_pine2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2007
                  I received some of the board material in question, and while it is
                  interesting it doesn't seem useful for anything I am building at the
                  moment.

                  Like you, my immediate thoughts are that it might be work for
                  mounting LEDs on a pre-stressed, curved surface, or the narrower
                  strips might serve for 'whiskers' on a robot of some sort.

                  But the stuff *is* really expensive, especially the narrow strips.

                  I have bought a good bit of 0.014 in double sided 1 oz copper FR4
                  board from 'abcfab' on eBay. The descriptions are a bit sketchy but
                  the product seems quite good and arrives reasonably quickly. I have
                  also purchased 0.030 in. and 0.060 in. board stock, as well as some
                  unlaminated 0.014 in. base material for experiments.

                  This source sells a variety of stock from 0.014 in. to 0.125 in. and
                  Cu copper weights up to 5 and 6 oz/in (sq).

                  I have also purchased unlaminated Kapton Polyimide in a variety of
                  thicknesses from 'PaperStreetPlastics'. I have been quite satisfied
                  by the quality and service from this source as well. I have used this
                  stuff for experimentation with flexible circuits using conductive
                  paints and/or inks. I've tried silver, cu, and carbon, so far.
                  Polyimide's's main claim to fame is that it is flexible and can
                  withstand solder temperatures.

                  The trick to developing good inks seems to be to design a mechanism
                  for applying the desired conductive material in a form that retains
                  flexibility, adhesion, and good conductivity. There are a lot of
                  issues that determine the final conductivity of the deposited material.

                  Though it is hardly an original thought, what I would really like to
                  be able to do is apply conductive, resistive, and suitable dialectric
                  materials using an inkjet process on a variety of appropriate
                  substrate materials. The goal would be to create all of the 'glue'
                  components - bypass caps, resistors, traces and pads to minimize the
                  fabrication cost and/or effort for one off prototypes.

                  --Dave