Re: What to use for a pump when spray etching?

  • scratch_6057
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8 5:16 AM
      My 2 cents on the spray Etching Pump,
      just came across this:

      March AC-4C-MD
      Metal-Less
      Pump
      For Semi-Corrosive
      Magnetic Drive-Model

      (copy & paste the entire link, line wrap killed it)

      ( http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%
      5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=49&product%5Fid=7711 )

      (Sorry NO, I'm not going to use any of those `Link Truncator' sites.)

      --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "lcdpublishing"
      <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      >
      > Several of you folks have made spray etching tanks. What are you
      > using for pumps?
      >
      > I plan to continue using Ferric Chloride and would appreciate any
      > pointers, suggestions, or other information that might be helpful
      in
      > the making of a spray tank.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Chris

    • Dale Chatham
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8 5:21 AM
        Yes, but I will:

        *http://tinyurl.com/25t8c4

        **http://preview.tinyurl.com/25t8c4*

        http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=49&product%5Fid=7711&cookie%5Ftest=1

        scratch_6057 wrote:
        > My 2 cents on the spray Etching Pump,
        > just came across this:
        >
        > March AC-4C-MD
        > Metal-Less
        > Pump
        > For Semi-Corrosive
        > Magnetic Drive-Model
        >
        > (copy & paste the entire link, line wrap killed it)
        >
        > ( http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%
        > 5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=49&product%5Fid=7711 )
        >
        > (Sorry NO, I'm not going to use any of those `Link Truncator' sites.)
        >

        > --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "lcdpublishing"
        > <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi guys,
        >>
        >> Several of you folks have made spray etching tanks. What are you
        >> using for pumps?
        >>
        >> I plan to continue using Ferric Chloride and would appreciate any
        >> pointers, suggestions, or other information that might be helpful
        >>
        > in
        >
        >> the making of a spray tank.
        >>
        >> Thanks!
        >>
        >> Chris
        >>

        > Be sure to visit the group home and check for new Links, Files, and Photos:
        >
        > If Files or Photos are running short of space, post them here:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • pgdion1
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8 6:37 AM
          Not sure what metals these things are made of, but there are solid
          state fuel pumps available that hold up pretty much to all solvents.
          I'm not sure if the CuCl or ferric chloride would eat them or not.

          JCWhitney sells some:
          They're probably a plated steel or maybe a diecast.

          http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=fuel+pump&searchbtn.x=20&searchbtn.y=12
          http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2011022/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2011022/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=fuel+pump
          http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2005660/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2005660/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=fuel+pump

          Not sure I'd want to spend 30 - $40 to melt one down but maybe someone
          else has already tried one and knows the results.

          - phil

          <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > Several of you folks have made spray etching tanks. What are you
          > using for pumps?
          >
          > I plan to continue using Ferric Chloride and would appreciate any
          > pointers, suggestions, or other information that might be helpful in
          > the making of a spray tank.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Chris

        • Derryck Croker
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8 8:44 AM
            On 8 May 2007, at 13:16, scratch_6057 wrote:

            > (Sorry NO, I'm not going to use any of those `Link Truncator' sites.)

            Try enclosing long URLs in angle bracket thus: <very long URL>

            I don't usually bother reconstructing mangled links in emails, life's
            too short.

            --

            Cheers

            Derryck
          • scratch_6057
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8 1:46 PM
              On the automotive front, used to be able to buy small 12 volt
              pump to replace the one in the windshield washer system.
              I don't recall seeing any of those recently, I think they are mostly
              incorporated into the fluid reservoir now. Maybe a salvage yard could
              produce a usable tank and pump? New the washer pump and reservoir
              might cost more than the fuel pump.
            • Roland F. Harriston
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8 2:24 PM
              • Adam Seychell
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8 4:16 PM
                  scratch_6057 wrote:

                  > March AC-4C-MD
                  > Metal-Less
                  > Pump
                  > For Semi-Corrosive
                  > Magnetic Drive-Model

                  Did you check the flow rate profile of this US$225.35 pump ?
                  20 feet head (60kPa) is pathetic for any spray nozzle.
                  Like I said, use a 12Volt RV diaphragm pump, US$50 and get 200+ kPa.

                  Adam