inkjet cdtray mod clearly explained

  • vsmvdd
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2007
      hello this is my first post here

      i got an RX560 inkjet epson 6 cartridge
      multifunction stand alone picture printer

      it uses waterproof inks and has cd dvd tray to allow printing
      first you may say a cd isnt a pcb but really
      the head just detects white labels or a shinny surface!!!
      so will print to the middle hole etc
      as it never detects it on a pcb job
      and maybe a mod to the software
      but i dont think so it can be customised fully

      so read the topic in this link
      http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic164174-60.html

      youll need to log into to see the pictures and files

      and if you could let me know any comments please

      it seems i can do a4 to a size of atleast 16cm x16cm so far with
      stopper plates into the print tray
      im scared to print further than this
      for now till i check it out further
      but i used extended tray with no problems etc...

      anyway a quick trip to the oven and off to the soft etch

      perfect .... ! then printed on the silk in full colour
    • docstein99
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2007
        > i got an RX560 inkjet epson 6 cartridge

        Couldnt find RX560 printer ANYWHERE (ebay, google, yahoo) this appears
        to be available outside of the USA)

        I did manage to find epsons RX580 printers, which sell for around $130
        US. There is an epson R260 printer which appears to be the same thing
        without the "all-in-one" jumbo, that uses the same ink cartridges; that
        sells for about $30 - $50

        This is awesome work for a cheap printer, and 10 minutes in an oven.
      • vsmvdd
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
          --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "docstein99" <docstein99@...>
          wrote:
          > Couldnt find RX560 printer ANYWHERE (ebay, google, yahoo) this
          appears
          > to be available outside of the USA)
          > There is an epson R260 printer which appears to be the same thing
          > without the "all-in-one" jumbo, that uses the same ink cartridges;
          that
          > sells for about $30 - $50

          suffering succotash
          that's cheep this printer cost me £99.99
          so four times the price in real money {hihi}
          if it has a cd tray i would go and buy one !!!
          and you guessed it its not avalible in the uk

          im sure if its basicaly the same chassis it will be as deep
          i can find he R265 but not the R260

          my modified small tray does a grand job
          im poised to tray a bigger board size
          im off to the shop for supplies
          and ill post more pictures on edaboard

          a few things i noticed
          polish the print board really well as per the method on edaboard
          is the main thing

          i also found warming the board up a little in hot water
          before prining makes a better finish it also dried it faster
          so for silk screen printing it doesnt smudge on
          heavy saturation or colour mode black seems unaffected by smudging i
          wonderif black is an different ink ????
          this printer has 6 cartridge's
          so has a white also

          i notice some people using other inks than original epson
          just wondered why ???
          ive had no issues at all
          using the clara inks that came with the printer?

          Thanks for any info
        • docstein99
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
            I'm very impressed! Fortunately, I do have a cnc milling machine so
            making a feed tray shouldnt be a problem. Some more research I found
            the lowest price for the printer is $79 at comp-usa. Reading closer I
            found that other price was a mail-in rebate if you bought the printer
            and also a camera :(
          • Stefan Trethan
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
              On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 02:40:55 +0100, vsmvdd <vsmvdd@...> wrote:

              > so read the topic in this link
              > http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic164174-60.html

              I'm glad one of my old pictures is making people interested in this
              method, maybe i ought to make more recent photos. I think the PCB carrier
              with clamp and provisions for doublesided alignment might be useful, even
              though i am at the moment not using it to make any PCBs.

              Looks like this direct inkjet thing is really starting to take off, great
              work!
              Especially using different (standard) inks and different printers is
              surely going to help things along a lot.

              ST
            • vsmvdd
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
                wrote:

                > I'm very impressed! Fortunately, I do have a cnc milling machine so
                > making a feed tray shouldnt be a problem. Some more research I found
                > the lowest price for the printer is $79 at comp-usa. Reading closer
                > found that other price was a mail-in rebate if you bought the printer
                > and also a camera :(

                well i made a small cd size pcb disk .5mm board

                i had mixed results weep !!

                becouse i didnt fry the board long enough
                over direct heat i see after a re read {i'm too quick you see }

                instead i oven baked it
                ehhh eehhehehhehe !!
                so ive reprited it

                thou did rediscover dipping pcb in etchant for a few seconds
                cleans the pcb board well
                and makes it a nicer surface for the next print !

                this time ill dry it over night then bake it over the ring this time
                and report the result tomorrow

                the silk screen worked very well a nice end ,,,
                i recon direct application of an art fixer spray
                is enought to seel it for good

                see the pics one edaboard link in previous posts
              • vsmvdd
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > I'm very impressed! Fortunately, I do have a cnc milling machine so
                  > making a feed tray shouldnt be a problem. Some more research I found
                  > the lowest price for the printer is $79 at comp-usa. Reading closer
                  > found that other price was a mail-in rebate if you bought the printer
                  > and also a camera :(

                  well if you make a cad tray design
                  as ive discovered
                  some ridges on it are needed for locking
                  {a small ridge on the far left top corner }

                  this will work and will give A5 {i think }
                  half an A4 down the middle and more
                  A4 is 297mm ive printed upto 160mm deep so far

                  if i can help let me know and share your cnc files

                  i think the camera rebate for me would have sold it for sure !!!!

                • docstein99
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
                    > well if you make a cad tray design
                    > as ive discovered
                    > some ridges on it are needed for locking
                    > {a small ridge on the far left top corner }

                    Let me get this printer to prove me some results first. If I cant get
                    it to work its going right back to the store. I will simply cut a pcb
                    in the shape of a cd-rom and try and print to that.

                    If it works - I could use a hand with dimensions for a suggested layout
                    on a tray. If it works, I may cut one and ship it to you.
                  • vsmvdd
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 15, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > > well if you make a cad tray design
                      > > as ive discovered
                      > > some ridges on it are needed for locking
                      > > {a small ridge on the far left top corner }
                      >
                      > Let me get this printer to prove me some results first. If I cant
                      get
                      > it to work its going right back to the store. I will simply cut a
                      pcb
                      > in the shape of a cd-rom and try and print to that.
                      >
                      > If it works - I could use a hand with dimensions for a suggested
                      layout
                      > on a tray. If it works, I may cut one and ship it to you.

                      ive done this to a cd shaped single sided board

                      trouble i came to is that it requires ink for mispro
                      well my one did other inks work
                      but so far this mispro seems the best choice
                      so ill order some from usa i suppose
                      i cant find it in the uk so far...

                      ive uploaded the stuff i did today
                      i realise it would be a trial
                      and error from the start atleast i found out a few hints

                      http://uk.geocities.com/vsmvdd/artwork/

                      i placed in edaboard a design for an electroplater with ramp pwm
                      technique
                      if anyone doesnt know how to... thru plate..