Re: [Homebrew_PCBs] UV LED arrays?

  • Leon Heller
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      From: "yllawk" <hkwally@...>
      To: <Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 3:53 PM
      Subject: [Homebrew_PCBs] UV LED arrays?

      > Hi Folks,
      > I'm mostly a learning lurker on these tech exchange lists, but the
      > recent UV source discussion has stimulated a question I've been
      > wondering about. I need a really compact UV source for a very portable
      > exposure unit. Anyone know of any success using an array of UV LEDs
      > as a UV light source for exposures? LEDs are pretty directional, so
      > are fairly well collimated as is. And in their visible light forms,
      > bright enough to use in traffic lights. But can these UV LEDs put out
      > enough light energy to react the photoresist? Anybody have experience
      > or know?

      Elektor had an article on a unit like that, for PCBs up to single Eurocard
      size.

      Leon
    • Henrik Olsson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        Yep, the LED's they used where: Kingbright L-7113UVC.
        That particular LED has a 20 degree "beam", they put 24 of them in a grid
        ~32mm appart. The distance from the LED to the PCB where 80mm and exposure
        time around 6min. Or so the claim...

        /Henrik Olsson.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
          Some of y'all may be interested in this page that concerns using
          UV LEDs to expose PC boards:

          http://radikaldesig.blogspot.com/2006/10/insoladora-uv-leds.html

          Dave
        • Sander Pool
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
            Nice, I love projects like that. Much more attainable than multi mega
            Watt UV lamps :) I've always exposed my photo sensitive board with a
            fluorescent desk lamp. 20 Years ago I used a home sun-tan lamp.

            Sander

            D wrote:

            > Some of y'all may be interested in this page that concerns using
            > UV LEDs to expose PC boards:
            >
            > http://radikaldesig.blogspot.com/2006/10/insoladora-uv-leds.html
            > <http://radikaldesig.blogspot.com/2006/10/insoladora-uv-leds.html>
            >
            > Dave

          • nuno_tv
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2006
              --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik-
              olsson@...> wrote:

              > Yep, the LED's they used where: Kingbright L-7113UVC.
              > That particular LED has a 20 degree "beam", they put 24 of them in
              a grid
              > ~32mm appart. The distance from the LED to the PCB where 80mm and
              exposure
              > time around 6min. Or so the claim...
              >
              > /Henrik Olsson.

              Just thought You would like to know. I bought one of these UV LEDs
              out of curiosity, along with many other non-curious stuff, and it
              does perform as stated on that magazine.
              In my case I made just a small 2cm x 2cm exposure and it turn out
              great. If I ever consider building an UV exposure unit, it will be
              with UV LEDs.
              Make sure their wavelength falls in your photo resistivity product.

              Nuno T.