Re: MEK

  • Mycroft2152
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
      Think of MEK as extreme nail polish remover (acetone).
      It's actually the "big brother" to acetone. MEK is a
      very common industrial solvent and must be used with
      respect and all the correct protective equipment.

      Great stuff!

      Myc

      --- JanRwl@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 5/31/2006 7:47:48 P.M. Central
      > Daylight Time,
      > robert.hedan@... writes:
      >
      > I'll have to ask, what's MEK?<<
      > Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Nasty very volitile organic
      > solvent.
      >
      > I take it it's not something I want to have for
      > breakfast.<<
      >
      > No; probably carcinogenic, but will at least
      > modulate the natural
      > functioning of your body parts, if not set afire
      > first.

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Leon Heller
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006

          mmmm-okay...

          Acetone is a good example that I can relate with, I use it to clean the PCBs
          before etching and to remove the toner after etching.

          Robert
          :)
        • Stefan Trethan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
            On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:14:19 +0200, Mycroft2152 <mycroft2152@...>
            wrote:

            > Think of MEK as extreme nail polish remover (acetone).
            > It's actually the "big brother" to acetone. MEK is a
            > very common industrial solvent and must be used with
            > respect and all the correct protective equipment.
            > Great stuff!
            > Myc

            Was that the one that damages the eyes so easily?
            I don't remember for sure which it was.....

            How is the evaporation rate of MEK compared to say acetone?

            ST
          • Mycroft2152
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
              Do not get it in your eyes. Wear eye protection!

              The evaporation rate is much faster. But nasty stuff.
              Dissolves the fat out of your skin. Makes it very dry.

              Myc

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/bGYolB/TM

              > If Files or Photos are running short of space, post
              > them here:

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Lez
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                > Dissolves the fat out of your skin. Makes it very dry.

                I'm 145 kg, about 24st, or a very a very large number of pounds, can
                it help me????????
              • lists
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                  In article <000f01c68566$b8926c80$0501a8c0@AZATHOTH>,
                  Leon Heller <leon.heller@...> wrote:
                  > Acetone is ethyl ketone. I remember making it at school; the reaction
                  > got out of hand, blowing the condenser etc. out of the flask and
                  > shattering them on the ceiling. A green fountain of copper filings,
                  > copper sulphate, sulphuric acid and ethanol shot up to the lab ceiling
                  > and rained down on us, together with broken glass. The green stain was
                  > still there when I left a couple of years later in 1960, it's probably
                  > still there.

                  Ah the days of /real/ chemistry at school
                • derekhawkins
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                    > The evaporation rate is much faster.

                    Acetone has a higher evaporation rate compared to MEK when last I
                    checked.

                    --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Mycroft2152 <mycroft2152@...>

                  • kilocycles
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                      Back in the 1970's, into the early '80s, pro bowling champion Earl
                      Anthony soaked his bowling balls in MEK overnight before tournaments.
                      Very controversial practice, but it softened the surface and gave the
                      balls more "bite", and more breaking ability. He was the first guy to
                      make a million dollars on the PBA Tour.

                      I just Googled him, for more recent info, and he died in 2001 at the
                      age of 63. No, it wasn't cancer...he fell down a flight of stairs.

                      Regards,
                      Ted

                      --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, Mycroft2152 <mycroft2152@...> wrote:

                      > Think of MEK as extreme nail polish remover (acetone).
                      > It's actually the "big brother" to acetone. MEK is a
                      > very common industrial solvent and must be used with
                      > respect and all the correct protective equipment.
                      >
                      > Great stuff!
                      >
                      > Myc
                      >
                      > --- JanRwl@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > In a message dated 5/31/2006 7:47:48 P.M. Central
                      > > Daylight Time,
                      > > robert.hedan@... writes:
                      > >
                      > > I'll have to ask, what's MEK?<<
                      > > Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Nasty very volitile organic
                      > > solvent.
                      > >
                      > > I take it it's not something I want to have for
                      > > breakfast.<<
                      > >
                      > > No; probably carcinogenic, but will at least
                      > > modulate the natural
                      > > functioning of your body parts, if not set afire
                      > > first.
                      ---snip----
                    • Bryan Pope
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                        lists wrote:
                        > In article <000f01c68566$b8926c80$0501a8c0@AZATHOTH>,
                        > Leon Heller <leon.heller@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Acetone is ethyl ketone. I remember making it at school; the reaction
                        >> got out of hand, blowing the condenser etc. out of the flask and
                        >> shattering them on the ceiling. A green fountain of copper filings,
                        >> copper sulphate, sulphuric acid and ethanol shot up to the lab ceiling
                        >> and rained down on us, together with broken glass. The green stain was
                        >> still there when I left a couple of years later in 1960, it's probably
                        >> still there.
                        >>

                        > Ah the days of /real/ chemistry at school

                        Speaking of chemistry - http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry.html

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan

                      • derekhawkins
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                          >Acetone is ethyl ketone.

                          Not quite, closest Acetone synonyms are Methyl Ketone and Dimethyl
                          Ketone. AFAIK, the synonym Ethyl Ketone doesn't exist. MEK is Methyl
                          Ethyl Ketone.

                          --- In Homebrew_PCBs@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@...>

                        • David R. Rachels
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                            Be cautious of where and how you use solvents such as acetone, MEK &
                            Methylene Chloride. In addition to health risks these compounds attack most
                            plastics very aggressively.

                            DRR

                            > Think of MEK as extreme nail polish remover (acetone).
                            > It's actually the "big brother" to acetone. MEK is a
                            > very common industrial solvent and must be used with
                            > respect and all the correct protective equipment.
                            >
                            > Great stuff!
                            >
                            > Myc

                            mmmm-okay...

                            Acetone is a good example that I can relate with, I use it to clean the PCBs
                            before etching and to remove the toner after etching.

                            Robert
                            :)

                            Be sure to visit the group home and check for new Links, Files, and Photos: