JetStar film

  • Leon Heller
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      I got my sample of the Mega Electronics JetStar film this morning, and tried
      it out on an existing PCB design, as promised. It worked very well!

      My printer is an old Epson Stylus Photo 870, and I used a non-Epson ink
      cartridge. The printer was set for Photo Quality Glossy Film, according to
      the Mega data sheet, and max. print quality, black ink. I actually cut a
      smaller piece off the supplied sheet and fixed it to a piece of ordinary
      paper when printing with a strip of masking tape, as it's quite expensive.

      The UV exposure time I employed was the same as I use with transparencies
      printed on a laser printer, on the low-cost single-sided FPC 16
      (fibreglass-paper composite) PCB positive resist material supplied by Mega.

      Etching was in warm FeCl3, and took the usual 10 minutes or so, with
      continuous agitation.

      Examining the etched board with a lens showed that the tracks were *much*
      sharper than I've been getting with laser printer transparencies (those
      always look a bit ragged at the edges). The board used a minimum track width
      of 10 mils; 8 mils shouldn't cause any problems and I might be able to get
      down to 6 mils, especially if I use the newer Premium Jet Star film (Mega
      also sent me a sample of that to try).

      JetStar is available from Mega, Farnell and Rapid Electronics, and costs
      5.10 GBP for 10 A4 sheets. The Premium JetStar film costs 10.50 GBP.

      I'll be using it from now on, for most of the boards I make. I will probably
      continue to use tracing paper in my laser printer for simple designs with 12
      mil tracks.

      Leon
      --
      Leon Heller, G1HSM
      leon.heller@...

      ---
      [This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
      to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
      currently using to read this email. ]