Ferric chloride dilution

  • Mike Young
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      I'm having a tough time finding ferric chloride. Pretty tough to imagine in
      a large metro area (Chicago), but TV retailers is all I find under
      Electronics in the yellow pages. If I buy bulk anhydrous, what dilution
      should I make the working solution? I saw 40% by weight on MG's website and
      other places. (What, exactly, is a Baume? as in: "To form the basic stock
      etching solution, water is added in the ratio 2 parts water to 1 part ferric
      chloride solution in a solution strength of 42° Baume.")
      (http://www.polymetaal.nl/beguin/mapf/ferric_chloride.htm).
    • Stefan Trethan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:03:45 +0100, Mike Young <mikewhy@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm having a tough time finding ferric chloride. Pretty tough to imagine
        > in
        > a large metro area (Chicago), but TV retailers is all I find under
        > Electronics in the yellow pages. If I buy bulk anhydrous, what dilution
        > should I make the working solution? I saw 40% by weight on MG's website
        > and
        > other places. (What, exactly, is a Baume? as in: "To form the basic stock
        > etching solution, water is added in the ratio 2 parts water to 1 part
        > ferric
        > chloride solution in a solution strength of 42° Baume.")
        > (http://www.polymetaal.nl/beguin/mapf/ferric_chloride.htm).

        Well, you are looking in the wrong place! Look for chemicals not
        electronics.

        I dunno about the dilution, i mixed it according to package (mine came
        from a electronics mail-order).

        Baume is some nasty scale for concentration i think, dunno why one would
        prefer it over %, ever.

        ST
      • twb8899
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
          Purchase an inexpensive hydrometer which is used to measure the
          specific gravity or Baume. You can mix the ferric chloride with water
          until the specific gravity is correct according to the hydrometer. You
          can also monitor the copper loading of the etchant by taking specific
          gravity readings. The specific gravity reading will increase as more
          copper is etched.

          I purchased my set of hydrometers many years ago and at that time they
          were less than $10 USD each. They are very similar to the small anti
          freeze testers sold in automotive stores. If you had a fresh etching
          solution of known strength you could use it to calibrate your own home
          made hydrometer. After calibration it would be simple to make up new
          solutions as needed.

          Tom