Mast Questions

  • h20foiler
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
      Hello,

      I bought a Holder 12 a couple of months ago and have had trouble
      finding specs on masts. The boat came with a Hawk mast and sail,
      which is perfect for sailing on Lake Mead, NV, where the winds blow in
      the summer 10-15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Although, I would like to
      acquire a "standard" rig.

      Are the upper or lower sections of the mast interchangeable between
      the 15' (Hawk) mast and the 18' (H1-12) mast? Also, where's the best
      place to pick up new/used H1-12 parts and sails near Henderson, NV?

      Thanks!
    • techmoose99
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
        I don't know if these parts are interchangeable, but on my Hobie One
        12, the length of my mast base is 9' 3/8" including the base cap on
        the bottom and it's diameter is right around 2 1/2". I have a Comp
        Tip upper section with flat caps top and bottom and it's total length
        is 10' 3/4" including those caps. The boom is 102 5/8" including the
        end caps. Hope this helps.

        Moose

        --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "h20foiler" <ventimiglia@c...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I bought a Holder 12 a couple of months ago and have had trouble
        > finding specs on masts. The boat came with a Hawk mast and sail,
        > which is perfect for sailing on Lake Mead, NV, where the winds blow in
        > the summer 10-15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Although, I would like to
        > acquire a "standard" rig.
        >
        > Are the upper or lower sections of the mast interchangeable between
        > the 15' (Hawk) mast and the 18' (H1-12) mast? Also, where's the best
        > place to pick up new/used H1-12 parts and sails near Henderson, NV?
        >
        > Thanks!
      • Dave_Benjamin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
          Our masts are made of aluminum tubing.
          Any supplier of aluminum may be able to help.
          I've heard of someone going to an agricultural place to buy aluminum
          tuning for a spinnaker pole on a big boat.
          You don't have to buy from "marine" suppliers.

          For parts I'd try Annapolis Performance Sailing (do a google search)
          and RiggingOnly.com

          --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "h20foiler" <ventimiglia@c...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I bought a Holder 12 a couple of months ago and have had trouble
          > finding specs on masts. The boat came with a Hawk mast and sail,
          > which is perfect for sailing on Lake Mead, NV, where the winds blow in
          > the summer 10-15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Although, I would like to
          > acquire a "standard" rig.
          >
          > Are the upper or lower sections of the mast interchangeable between
          > the 15' (Hawk) mast and the 18' (H1-12) mast? Also, where's the best
          > place to pick up new/used H1-12 parts and sails near Henderson, NV?
          >
          > Thanks!
        • Wayne Carney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
            Hi,

            > I've heard of someone going to an agricultural place to buy aluminum
            > [tubing] for a spinnaker pole on a big boat.

            Unfortunately not all aluminum tubing is the same. There is a considerable
            difference in hardness, ductility, and brittleness to name just a couple of
            the qualities. I would like to hear the rest of the story about the
            irrigation pipe spinnaker pole... did it last? Spinnaker poles don't get
            near the stresses a mast does so perhaps it's still going. On the other
            hand, if you break a spinnaker pole you aren't left paddling back to port or
            injured or both.

            I am not opposed to sourcing a mast section from an aluminum dealer, however
            it would be wise to choose one that carries the strength and wall thickness
            materials needed to provide the proper flexibility and durability. The
            material is probably going to be a 6005T6, 6061T6, or something in that
            60xxx category. It will be clear anodized and have a specific wall
            thickness. With a sample piece to test a good _aircraft aluminum_ supplier
            can determine the necessary specifications.

            On another boat design with a similarly simple mast we found that going to a
            quality aluminum supplier saved about 20% off the factory mast cost and they
            were able to duplicate the aluminum spec's exactly. For our shopping efforts
            and a little time swapping fittings we saved about $60.

            > ...where's the best place to
            > pick up new/used H1-12 parts
            > and sails near Henderson, NV

            Since these boats went out of production over ten years ago there are no
            dealers - anywhere. Some Hobie shops still have a few parts hanging around,
            but it's hit and miss. The general fittings - blocks, cleats, and the like
            can be found at nearly any sailboat or marine supplier. Holder-12 specific
            items such as the mast, sails, rudder, and daggerboard may still be
            available through Hobie by first contacting the factory. Generally if they
            have a part they will sell it through the nearest Hobie dealer. If there
            isn't a dealer nearby, you can choose any dealer to mail-order through. If
            the Hobie factory doesn't have a part there is a list of Hobie dealers in
            the group LINKS area that have in the past had some stock. Beyond that it's
            either scrounge on the sailing message boards - like Sailing Texas, or ebay,
            or find a similar item from another make of boat, or fabricate. Many
            sailmakers will still make a H-12 sail so there's no problem for that item.

            If you need help with specifics let me know.

            Wayne

          • Dave_Benjamin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
              As long as you specify appropriate alloy, wall thickness, and diameter
              you'll be fine.

            • h20foiler
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
                Thank you all for the info! For those wondering about the Hawk rig
                specs...

                Mast Base = 86-0" (dia. approx. 2")
                Mast Comp Tip = 108-1/2"
                Boom = 84-3/4"

                Looks like I'll be scrounging for a new rig if I want to
                sail "faster" in lighter air.

                --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "techmoose99" <JDVDBRCNBTQC@s...>