No trailer

  • patrick engman
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 6:54 PM
      Duncan,

      I did the same thing with my holder. No trailer.. put
      it in the back of my small truck.. talk about a pain.
      It is feasible, just a pain. You might try looking
      around for a cheap trailer. I had an extra trailer for
      my catamarran, I bolted a couple of 2 by 4's to the
      frame. Now the trailer is good for either my
      Catamarran or the Holder.

      Good luck sailing.. the water is a little chilling up
      there.

      Patrick

      =====
      PATRICK R. ENGMAN

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Duncan R. McCoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2 9:03 AM
        Pat --

        Thanks for the tip. Was thinking about a trailer -
        Northern tool has a little boat trailer for about
        $350 + shipping, but there's this money issue
        right now: I can buy Jack's Holder and no trailer,
        or I can buy the trailer and Jack'll have to wait.
        I think a boat in the barn is worth two in he ads
        and Jack could easily get tired of waiting for me
        to come up with the cash and sell it to somebody
        else. So Jack comes first and the trailer later.

        Since the Holder only weighs about 120 lbs, which
        boat trailer is probably no very critical. Maybe
        something will come up that's really cheap.

        Duncan R. McCoy
        Boulder City, NV

        duncan@...

        I did the same thing with my holder. No trailer.. put
        it in the back of my small truck.. talk about a pain.
        It is feasible, just a pain. You might try looking
        around for a cheap trailer. I had an extra trailer for
        my catamarran, I bolted a couple of 2 by 4's to the
        frame. Now the trailer is good for either my
        Catamarran or the Holder.

        Good luck sailing.. the water is a little chilling up
        there.

        Patrick

        =====
        PATRICK R. ENGMAN

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • doabbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2010
          Hi,
          Recently got a 1987(?) Holder 12 in excellent condition. I took the boat out today on a large inland lake for 3 hours and it was a blast. I need to make a couple minor adjustments/repairs and will try digging around on the archives to see if I can find an answer.

          Here is my short list right now:

          Replace pin and whatever else is needed to attach the tiller extension to the yoke on the tiller. I've got both parts of the yoke, both the tiller piece and tiller extension piece, just not the pin that secures the two.

          Find delrin strap and middle block on the boom. Right now I've got the blocks on both end but just a zip tie in the middle. It wasn't in the way too much as it is, but would be nice to get back to original.

          Find a diagram or explanation on how to get the rudder to kick/pivot up. I need to replace the bungee cord as it doesn't seem to raise completely and when raised up it will drop back down unless supported. Again, not a problem as it works fine. If you bring the tiller up then run into the shore, it will kick up, but not stay up unless supported.

          How to make simple sail repairs. There appears to be a small 1" area where the top batten meets the zipper luff, this has come unstictched. I would suspect that this is common(?) as you push this batten right into that intersection.

          Looking for information on how to properly attach the long batten to the mainsail.

          OK, that should be a good list of things to fix, otherwise this boat is near perfect.

          -Art
          New Hampshire
        • Wayne C
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2010
            Hello Art,

            Welcome -

            > Recently got a 1987(?)

            The Hull ID should be etched in the upper right of the transom. The format
            will look like:

            CCMK4321M87G

            Post the number and we can translate it for you.

            > Replace pin and whatever else is needed to attach the tiller
            > extension to the yoke on the tiller. I've got both parts of the
            > yoke, both the tiller piece and tiller extension piece, just not
            > the pin that secures the two.

            That pivot pin might be a McMaster-Carr.com part. Ronstan, Racelite, RWO,
            Forespar, and a couple of other equipment companies make complete
            replacement universals in a similar style. Most folks replace the stock
            extension with something like a Ronstan Battle Stick.

            http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF1121

            http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF3128

            > Find delrin strap and middle block on the boom. Right now I've
            > got the blocks on both end but just a zip tie in the middle. It
            > wasn't in the way too much as it is, but would be nice to get
            > back to original.

            Not sure what you've come across. The mainsheet runs in two boom blocks, one
            at the end and one slightly forward of midway. Ahead of the forward
            mainsheet block is the becket block for the boom vang.

            Blocks are off-the-shelf Harken brand found at most sailboat suppliers, but
            you can go back with any brand you want. The only criteria is to match
            blocks with the mainsheet diameter range you like to use.

            example -
            http://www.apsltd.com/c-2-hardware.aspx

            > Find a diagram or explanation on how to
            > get the rudder to kick/pivot up.

            There are diagrams in the group's FILES area. Follow this path from the main
            page.

            Files > Holder Parts

            Tip - the rudder kick-up action functions better in the water than out.

            > How to make simple sail repairs. There appears to be a small 1"
            > area where the top batten meets the zipper luff, this has come
            > unstictched. I would suspect that this is common(?) as you push
            > this batten right into that intersection.
            >
            > Looking for information on how to properly attach the long batten
            > to the mainsail.

            Again I don't know what you've discovered. The standard H-12 sail carries 3
            battens, 18", 24", 18". None of these run anywhere near the sail's luff
            edge. Perhaps you have a full panel seam coming unstitched that now appears
            to be a batten pocket. Sail stitch repair is simply a matter of resewing
            using 100% polyester thread. Ideally, try and set your sewing machine to hit
            the original stitching holes.

            Go ahead and set yourself up in the PHOTOS area with an album and post some
            pictures of the things you have questions about.

            In the mean time feel free to browse through the FILES area. There you will
            find parts diagrams and copies of the manual among other information.

            Wayne

          • doabbs
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2010
              Hi, thanks for the response. It is an 1987. The piece that is missing on the boom is what is in between the two blocks on the boom you can see it in "Bens '83 Holder" album, under photos last picture.

              The sail I have is identical to the one in the album "Jeff G-ski's H1-12". You can see in that picture that the top batten goes all the way to the zipper luff.

              -Art

              --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne C" <wayne.sc@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > this batten right into that intersection.
              > >
              > > Looking for information on how to properly attach the long batten
              > > to the mainsail.
              >

              > Again I don't know what you've discovered. The standard H-12 sail carries 3
              > battens, 18", 24", 18". None of these run anywhere near the sail's luff
              > edge. Perhaps you have a full panel seam coming unstitched that now appears
              > to be a batten pocket. Sail stitch repair is simply a matter of resewing
              > using 100% polyester thread. Ideally, try and set your sewing machine to hit
              > the original stitching holes.
              >

              > Go ahead and set yourself up in the PHOTOS area with an album and post some
              > pictures of the things you have questions about.
              >
              > In the mean time feel free to browse through the FILES area. There you will
              > find parts diagrams and copies of the manual among other information.

            • Wayne C
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2010
                Hi Art,

                > The piece that is missing on the boom is what
                > is in between the two blocks on the boom you can
                > see it in "Bens '83 Holder" album, under photos last picture.

                Thanks for the picture references, that helps a lot.

                I believe that attachment on the boom is a mainsheet hanger to prevent
                mainsheet droop in light wind. They are an add-on accessory seen on Laser,
                Sunfish, Opti, and other boats similar in size to the Holder-12. You can
                find them available commercially in a couple of styles, or you can make your
                own.

                http://www.apsltd.com/images/CATEGORY/medium/2226.jpg

                http://www.apsltd.com/images/CATEGORY/medium/2384.jpg

                The APS Laser catalog is a great place to browse on-line for accessories
                that might be adapted to work on the Holder-12.

                http://www.apsltd.com

                Note: If you see a part you think might be a universal sailboat part, check
                the general hardware section rather than the specific brand area. Standard
                hardware that's re-bagged for a specific brand boat is often marked up 2x to
                4x over its regular off-the-rack price tag..., not just at APS, but at any
                sailboat parts supplier who's also a boat dealer.

                > The sail I have is identical to the one in the album "Jeff
                > G-ski's H1-12". You can see in that picture that the top batten
                > goes all the way to the zipper luff.

                I missed noticing that picture, I didn't realize Hobie had switched sail
                styles until you pointed it out.
                There's no mention of this change in the parts diagrams or the manual(s).

                http://www.hobiecat.com/support/images/tech/12sail.jpg

                http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/H112Manual.pdf

                Hobie does use tie-in battens on some of their Cats. Here's their
                instruction sheet for those boats. See if it applies to the sail/batten you
                have.

                http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/batten_tie.pdf

                BTW, measure your batten so you have the info since it's not in our data
                files.

                It would be appreciated if you'd measure the entire sail and post the data.

                > Does anyone know where I can get a hiking strap for a Holder 12?

                Try any Hobie dealer to see if they still have Holder stock. Check the
                group's LINKS area for Holder aware suppliers.

                You can also make your own from webbing strap from most any sailboat
                supplier or outdoors equipment store..., even equine tack suppliers carry
                it. Looks like 3" webbing is the standard width.

                > I also am not sure exactly how it attaches
                > since there isn't one in my Holder 12.

                Here are a couple of photos I saved to check the attachments out myself.
                Don't remember is these are duplicates of something you may have already
                found in PHOTOS.

                http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4866695593_2c458bdcdb_z.jpg

                http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4867310796_f5f9199c04_b.jpg

                Wayne