RE: WEIGHT LIMIT

  • userninety
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2003
      I just bought a 1987 Holder 12 about 6 months a ago and I've been
      wondering what the weight limit for the boat is. I would like to
      take a friend or two along but I don't want to overload the boat. I
      can't seem to find any information pertaining to this subject
      anywhere and I was wondering if any of you out there might know.

      Thanks

      USERNINETY :- )
    • Wayne Carney
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2003
        USERNINETY,

        The sales flyers list the capacity at 2 adults.

        The Coast Guard considers the average adult to weigh 150 lb., so 300 lb.
        max.

        You may hear of a Coast Guard method for calculating the absolute maximum
        capacity based on length and width. This only applies when the manufacturer
        determined capacity is completely unknown. see: http://tinyurl.com/i0ag

        Since the capacity is published by the manufacturer, the manufacturer rating
        is what you should follow.

        Wayne

      • Shorty
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2003
          I weigh about 285, and I took a friend who weighs 230-250? The boat did
          fine, but it was very calm water. Not sure how she will perform in waves
          with 2 people.

          Biggest problem was the tiller length, but I am using a non-standard
          rudder/tiller. I solved the problem by replacing the tiller with a shorter
          piece of aluminum pipe, has a smaller section inside it that telescopes out.
          A cross bolt pins it in place, so I can have 2 settings now.

          The only problem with taking 3 people would be where to put the 3rd body! I
          wonder how she would be if I left the sail rig off, and sat on the bow deck
          and rowed her. Could probably have the wife at the stern, and a couple of
          kids between.... hhhmmm.....

          Shorty
        • Wayne Carney
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2003
            Shorty,

            Good point... two people my size would exceed the rated capacity. Where you
            sail is probably a big factor. I wouldn't think twice about putting two
            larger people in the boat on a small lake. I don't think I'd push the
            capacity in ocean surf or where there is a threat of capsize in cold water.

            I follow you with the shorter tiller, but wonder about the leverage. Isn't
            it harder to steer with a short stick?

            It could be fun to leave off the sail and take along 3 or 4 kids where each
            of them had a paddle.

            Wayne

          • Pedro foronda
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2003
              Thanks Wayne, I checked that web site in your e mail
              and it sure was helpfull.
              The holer is rated for two people. However, if you use
              the formula, just for the jeck of it, I get 3 people.
              12x4/15=3 or close to it.

              http://tinyurl.com/i0ag