drain/vent holes

  • gail kellor
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      Wayne,

      Thanks for the pointers. Good ideas about how to find
      leaks with air being put into the inner hull area and
      using soap to find the leaks. I suspect that the hole
      just under the gunnwale of my friends boat is more of
      a vent hole.

      Neither the hole in my friends boat or mine had any
      threads to screw a metal or plastic bolt into. Maybe
      just a small rubber stopper plug was used, but was
      lost by the previous owner.

      The 'hunt' shall begin....for the 'vent' hole and
      leaks.

      Gail

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • gail kellor

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
          Gail,

          > Neither the hole in my friends boat or mine had any
          > threads to screw a metal or plastic bolt into. Maybe
          > just a small rubber stopper plug was used, but was
          > lost by the previous owner.

          Hmmmmm...., Small rubber stopper sounds scary to me. I think you should
          consider installing a screw-in type drain plug and an inspection port.

          Wayne
        • gail kellor
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2003
            Wayne,

            Yep, any kind of plug that would just be jammed into
            the hole would be scary to me, too. That's why I
            drillrd the hole larger and 'tapped' it to take a
            threaded bolt. Works great. I take the bolt out
            every time I take the boat out of the water, at the
            same time I remove the 1 inch cockpit drain plug. It
            doesn't go back in until the next sail.

            You can see the LARGE Bomar deck plates I installed in
            the deck, on the 'modification' web page. I can keep
            them 'cracked' open when the tarp is over the boat.
            Also, I don't 'wrap' the boat tight, with a tarp, in
            off season. I believe it's important for the boat to
            'breathe'----have air flow thru it when stored.

            I keep the transom and mast hole, mast supports on the
            boat, with a length of 3" plastic pipe on them, to
            support the tarp to form a shallow 'tent' over the
            boat. That way the deck plates can be cracked open
            without rain getting in and the inner hull is kept
            ventilated. Gives shelter for the cats to sleep in
            the cockpit, too.

            My friend has his own 'ideas' and doesn't want to put
            inspection or deck plates in his boat. That's his
            call...

            Do you know if inspection ports were put in the later
            boats at the factory? Or has that only been done by
            various owners?

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2003
              Hi Gail,

              > ... That's why I drilled the hole larger and 'tapped'
              > it to take a threaded bolt. Works great.

              Hmmm..., I'm not sure threading the fiberglass hull directly is such a good
              idea. there will be some rapid wear on the fiberglass. The commercial plugs
              have a threaded nylon insert that gets cemented/calked into the hull and the
              plug screws into the insert.

              > You can see the LARGE Bomar deck plates I installed in
              > the deck, on the 'modification' web page.

              Ah yes, I recall seeing them.

              > My friend has his own 'ideas' and doesn't want to put
              > inspection or deck plates in his boat. That's his
              > call...

              Ooooo.., that will be sort of a Darwin-ism. Considering the water you say
              he's taking on, when the hull starts to delaminate and the foam floatation
              get waterlogged adding 80#'s to the hull weight, then he'll be motivated.

              > Do you know if inspection ports were put in the later
              > boats at the factory? Or has that only been done by
              > various owners?

              I haven't seen factory installed ports. If anyone has a port they know for
              sure was installed by Hobie it would be interesting to get their hull number
              so we can note when it was done.

              Wayne
            • userninety
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2003
                Wayne,

                I've got an 1987 Comptip generation Holder 12 with one 4" inspection
                port in the forward cockpit on the starboard side. I bought the boat
                second hand but I'm pretty sure that the hull came stock that way
                from the factory. However, if you look at the picture in the 1987+
                Assembly Manual on page 3 (Holder 12 Parts & Accessories), although
                they don't list it, you can see the faint highlights of the six pop
                rivets for an inspection port on the starboard side forward cockpit,
                just right of the deck compass ? ? ? ? (See this groups files, 3rd
                one down/"H12 Manual (Comptip Generation)")

                I've also noticed from the registry in this groups database that
                Shorty seems to have the same year hull I do because his hull I.D.
                number ends in 87. As I was looking through this groups photo album
                under Shorty's 12/ photo #19 (h12row7) it seems that he has an
                inspection port in the same spot on his hull too, any
                speculation ? ? ? ?

                USERNINETY :-)

                --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Carney" <wcarney@f...> wrote:

                > > Do you know if inspection ports were put in the later
                > > boats at the factory? Or has that only been done by
                > > various owners?
                >
                > I haven't seen factory installed ports. If anyone has a port they
                know for
                > sure was installed by Hobie it would be interesting to get their
                hull number
                > so we can note when it was done.
                >

                > Wayne
              • Wayne Carney
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2003
                  USERNINETY

                  > However, if you look at the picture in the
                  > 1987+Assembly Manual on page 3

                  Right you are.... and on page 8 it is clearly visible.

                  > any speculation ?

                  Well, it does look like Hobie installed an inspection port.

                  I also notices that there is an inner hull drain plug threaded into the
                  hull. I still think a drainplug that has an insert is better.