Advice on Hobie 10 and Holder 12

  • Zvika
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11 6:51 PM
      Hello there Hobie's,

      I am looking to buy a used Hobie 10 or Holder 12 (or Hobie one).
      The boat will be sailed by myself and my kids (11 & 12).

      First question is if the kids would be able to sail by themselves the Hobie 12? (They are not heavyweight kids).

      Second is regarding the stability of those boats, are they OK for kids?

      AND..
      If any one knows a used such boat in Seattle area, I will be happy to check it.

      Thank you,
      Zvi
    • nyniaan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12 1:36 AM
        These are GREAT boats for kids. Welcome to the group. It hasn't been terribly active, but it is a good place to learn much about the craft. As to sourcing one, I recommend trolling or calling youth-type sailing centers in your area - as they are older boats you might find one being neglected that a center would give up for cash.
        There is a pair that includes an all-but-new one for sale in Southern California. A long haul, but I can vouch that it is as new as you can ever expect to see.
        see this post:

        --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Zvika" <kzvik@...> wrote:

        > Hello there Hobie's,
        >
        > I am looking to buy a used Hobie 10 or Holder 12 (or Hobie one).
        > The boat will be sailed by myself and my kids (11 & 12).
        >
        > First question is if the kids would be able to sail by themselves the Hobie 12? (They are not heavyweight kids).
        >
        > Second is regarding the stability of those boats, are they OK for kids?
        >
        > AND..
        > If any one knows a used such boat in Seattle area, I will be happy to check it.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Zvi

      • John Yaeck
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12 5:55 AM
          Hello there,
          My name is John and I am getting ready to break up a travel pack consisting of a Hobie 16 and a Holder 12. The Holder 12 is a 1985 model and I am the third owner. My boys have grown up and I am going to sell the boat, rudder,center board, mast and a very good conditioned sail with a dismantled trailer (everything is there but apart) for around 500 bucks. It is an excellent sailboat for youngsters and even small adults. My boys would get into the toe straps and just flat fly that thing as it is a flat bottom. I will send you some pictures.
          John

          woodmiser@...

          Message 4 of 6 , May 13 11:58 AM
            John....where are you located?
            Don in St. Louis

            Message 5 of 6 , May 13 6:42 PM
              Thanks!
              Your tips are much appreciated.
              Zvi

            • patrick.hush@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 6 , May 14 6:44 AM
                I have a well preserved/restored 10 (no wet foam) that we don't sail much. We are in the Sacramento Ca. area.