can the H 12 be car-topped?

  • maybeus@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
      I am thinking about a H12 for sale and wondering about feasability of putting on the roof for an hour drive home (yes, on highway). I have a 2009 RAV4 (small suv).

      I've seen weight listed as 125# but wasn't clear if this was for fully rigged or hull only. I'm thinking 125 # would be liftable (with 2 people) and put on roof but that is purely intuition. Anybody have an informed opinion?

      Thanks!
    • nyniaan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
        I've done plenty of times, with a rig I made up for it...
        a temporary rig for the RAV4 could be made with the foam crossbar pads some of the rack-system people sell -
        I used some 5"x18" square blocks that slip over a regular round rail, I got them from REI (not currently in the catalog) and have no idea who make 'em :-(

        Make sure you run a line from the painter (bow) attachment to the front of the car to aid in keeping it from lifting - you've probably seen mattresses on top of cars folding back - the boat will try to do the same.

        as for getting it up there, yeah, towels or a furniture pad and help - not so much that it's that heavy, just that it is very unwieldy by your lonesome.

        I car-topped mine upside-down, I don't think there it would be easy right side up.

        Good luck!
        ~mike~

      • maybeus@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
          Thanks a lot. The current owner was skeptical and was suggesting it hang-out the back! That scared me.

          I'm thinking off slicing open a pool noodle and slipping over the roof rack bars. Then a couple of straps going side to side and, then something from the front to the front bumper...

          Glad to hear 125#'s is more unwieldy than overwhelmingly heavy. Any other input appreciated.

          (I've been looking at all the pics and getting excited!!

          --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "nyniaan" <corseted@...> wrote:

          > I've done plenty of times, with a rig I made up for it...
          > a temporary rig for the RAV4 could be made with the foam crossbar pads some of the rack-system people sell -
          > I used some 5"x18" square blocks that slip over a regular round rail, I got them from REI (not currently in the catalog) and have no idea who make 'em :-(
          >
          > Make sure you run a line from the painter (bow) attachment to the front of the car to aid in keeping it from lifting - you've probably seen mattresses on top of cars folding back - the boat will try to do the same.
          >
          > as for getting it up there, yeah, towels or a furniture pad and help - not so much that it's that heavy, just that it is very unwieldy by your lonesome.
          >
          > I car-topped mine upside-down, I don't think there it would be easy right side up.
          >
          > Good luck!
          > ~mike~
          >

          > --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "maybeus@" <rblakenyc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am thinking about a H12 for sale and wondering about feasability of putting on the roof for an hour drive home (yes, on highway). I have a 2009 RAV4 (small suv).
          > >
          > > I've seen weight listed as 125# but wasn't clear if this was for fully rigged or hull only. I'm thinking 125 # would be liftable (with 2 people) and put on roof but that is purely intuition. Anybody have an informed opinion?
          > >
          > > Thanks!

        • Don Hannula
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
            I did some car topping of a Laser 14 with the same kind of challenges. It traveled OK once it was lashed down. Use the pool noodles as you suggested to protect your car.  Anywhere that the boat touches the car, it will wear a hole through your paint in a 1 hour drive.

            As far as the bow lines, I'd recommend two, one to the front left bumper and one to the front right bumper. This not only resists the force of the wind pushing it back, but also keeps the bow centered. This also gives you a visual indicator while driving so you know if anything loosens.   Do the same at the stern of the boat, two lines (left and right) to prevent side to side motion.

            Check all your lines after you've been on the road just a few minutes.  Good luck.

            Good luck.

            Thanks a lot. The current owner was skeptical and was suggesting it hang-out the back! That scared me.

            I'm thinking off slicing open a pool noodle and slipping over the roof rack bars. Then a couple of straps going side to side and, then something from the front to the front bumper...

            Glad to hear 125#'s is more unwieldy than overwhelmingly heavy. Any other input appreciated.

            (I've been looking at all the pics and getting excited!!

            --- In Holder12@yahoogroup s.com, "nyniaan" <corseted@.. .> wrote:

            > I've done plenty of times, with a rig I made up for it...
            > a temporary rig for the RAV4 could be made with the foam crossbar pads some of the rack-system people sell -
            > I used some 5"x18" square blocks that slip over a regular round rail, I got them from REI (not currently in the catalog) and have no idea who make 'em :-(
            >
            > Make sure you run a line from the painter (bow) attachment to the front of the car to aid in keeping it from lifting - you've probably seen mattresses on top of cars folding back - the boat will try to do the same.
            >
            > as for getting it up there, yeah, towels or a furniture pad and help - not so much that it's that heavy, just that it is very unwieldy by your lonesome.
            >
            > I car-topped mine upside-down, I don't think there it would be easy right side up.
            >
            > Good luck!
            > ~mike~
            >

            > --- In Holder12@yahoogroup s.com, "maybeus@" <rblakenyc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am thinking about a H12 for sale and wondering about feasability of putting on the roof for an hour drive home (yes, on highway). I have a 2009 RAV4 (small suv).
            > >
            > > I've seen weight listed as 125# but wasn't clear if this was for fully rigged or hull only. I'm thinking 125 # would be liftable (with 2 people) and put on roof but that is purely intuition. Anybody have an informed opinion?
            > >
            > > Thanks!

          • Pete Lynch
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
              I car topped my H12 on a Honda Pilot with 6' Thule bars attached to
              the factory racks.
              2 adults will be needed.
              I recommend purchasing Thule tie down straps as well. Rope or line
              just cannot crank down on the boat as well as the straps.
              The attached photo was a pic before I purchased the Thule straps.
              A line on the bow and stern tied to the frame of the car will keep it
              from lifting.
              I also had room to secure the mast & boom to the racks.