Water inside the hull

  • boomer4tug
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
      I have recently acquired an 85 Holder 12. It has an access hole installed in the left side bulkhead between the deck and sole. I have removed some water from the inside of the hull with a wet vac. When i move the boat around i still hear water moving around. There is a raisrd section where the mast trunk comes down from the deck to bottom of hull. I believe there is water inside this area. If so how best to get it out. Charley in Memphis area.
    • Wayne C
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
        Charley,

        Have you tried rolling the hull up on one side for awhile and then the other
        to see if water seeps from under the support into the main inner hull? I'm
        also thinking a leak in the bottom of the mast tube may be the culprit. Has
        the mast ever been used for a period of time while its end-cap was missing?
        Since the mast twists (feathers) a little during sailing an exposed mast end
        would act as a "cookie cutter" on the fiberglass tube.

        Can you get a work light in the forward part of the boat and then snap some
        photos. This is a new one on me and I'd appreciate seeing what the area of
        your hull looks like.

        Wayne

      • Joseph Dougherty
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
          I have a 1984 Holder 12 in great condition that we sail on Hudson Creewk and the Cheseapeake Bay, but I am in need of a mast endcap for the bottom of the mast, do you know a source. Has anyone tried fitting a sail track to the mast  with a build out of the upper portion?

          Thanks

          Joe

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
            Joe,

            The part number for the lower mast end cap is 91640000, however it has been
            dropped off the Hobie list of remaining inventory.

            In the past I have seen generic caps for various applications that could be
            fit with a little sanding to match the mast ID or a little adhesive caulk
            like 3M 4200 to make up for an otherwise loose fit.

            As a temporary measure you can try spray paint can tops, cut something from
            an old kitchen storage container, or even fabricate something more
            professional from a mini-cutting board. One member even made a cast of the
            mast bottom in casting latex from Hobby Lobby, then poured and finished a
            cap out of boat repair epoxy.

            ... anything to prevent that aluminum tube edge from cutting into the bottom
            or side of the fiberglass mast tube.

            > Has anyone tried fitting a sail track to the mast
            > with a build out of the upper portion?

            I'm not sure how you'd approach that. You can get a one-piece mast with luff
            track and sheaved mast head from places like Dwyer Mast Co.

            You'll also need to turn your sail's mast pocket into a "bolt rope" luff by
            sewing an appropriate diameter rope into the leading edge of the sail.
            Intriguing idea for creating a halyard hoisted sail...

            Others have accomplished the same thing by adding mast hoops to the sail in
            the traditional sailboat style. (see discussion thread #2416 from August 31,
            2009)

            Wayne

          • Karlton Spindle
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
              If we need to have some made I can get some machined out of Delran.

              Smooth Sailing,

              Karlton Spindle

              (818) 279-1049

              ~~~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~~~

              The part number for the lower mast end cap is 91640000, however it has been
              dropped off the Hobie list of remaining inventory.

              In the past I have seen generic caps for various applications that could be
              fit with a little sanding to match the mast ID or a little adhesive caulk
              like 3M 4200 to make up for an otherwise loose fit.

              As a temporary measure you can try spray paint can tops, cut something from
              an old kitchen storage container, or even fabricate something more
              professional from a mini-cutting board. One member even made a cast of the
              mast bottom in casting latex from Hobby Lobby, then poured and finished a
              cap out of boat repair epoxy.

              .... anything to prevent that aluminum tube edge from cutting into the bottom
              or side of the fiberglass mast tube.

              > Has anyone tried fitting a sail track to the mast
              > with a build out of the upper portion?

              I'm not sure how you'd approach that. You can get a one-piece mast with luff
              track and sheaved mast head from places like Dwyer Mast Co.

              You'll also need to turn your sail's mast pocket into a "bolt rope" luff by
              sewing an appropriate diameter rope into the leading edge of the sail.
              Intriguing idea for creating a halyard hoisted sail...

              Others have accomplished the same thing by adding mast hoops to the sail in
              the traditional sailboat style. (see discussion thread #2416 from August 31,
              2009)

              Wayne

            • Charles Sheets
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
                I will try to get pictures of the inside of the hull where the mast tube comes down from the deck to the bottom. When i roll the boat from side to side is when i hear the water moving around. I have had the boat upside down and no sign of water leaking back out. The mast pocket/hole was full of water when i got the boat, but do not see a "hole" in the tube. I patched some small nicks in the under side of the bow and dont think they could be the entry point. I am planning on making a couple of holes in the top rear corner with my dremmel tool to let the water drain out when i roll the boat on that side.  A little silacone will seal the hole to preserve the flotation value of the compartment. There is also a big block of styrafoam in there for flotation alco. I am considering adding a lot more later on.  Charley in Memphis area

                ____________ _________ _________ __
                Have you tried rolling the hull up on one side for awhile and then the other
                to see if water seeps from under the support into the main inner hull? I'm
                also thinking a leak in the bottom of the mast tube may be the culprit. Has
                the mast ever been used for a period of time while its end-cap was missing?
                Since the mast twists (feathers) a little during sailing an exposed mast end
                would act as a "cookie cutter" on the fiberglass tube.

                Can you get a work light in the forward part of the boat and then snap some
                photos. This is a new one on me and I'd appreciate seeing what the area of
                your hull looks like.

                Wayne

              • Mike the Seat Guy
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
                  -Once you get a bottom mast-tube "biscuit", I recommend dropping half of a tennis ball in the hole to act as a bearing and additional anti-wear.

                  ...anything on the bottom of the mast-tube is correct. Even wood will work if you use the tennis ball approach.

                  That's all I suppose,
                  Mike

                  And, as always, there's this:
                  http://www.nationalpriorities.org/costofwar_home