Re: just purchased Holder 12, need help with rigging

  • philcarter134
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
      No, haven't rec'd any help, in fact just remembered that I requested help here on this forum. Water is warming up and I'm ready to put the little boat in and try her out. Still need to know where I can get a traveler assembly, probably have to make it but need to know what size block to buy and what size line to use. Also, the thin line from the sail that goes along the boom and thru the little holders is too large, need to know what size that line should be. Sorry for lack of proper terminology, I know basic sailing but not that familiar with all the sailing terminology.

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Phil

      --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Anonymous Man" <islander@...> wrote:

      > hi Phil, has anyone helped with rigging?
      >
      > Jeff

    • Wayne C
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
        Phil,

        Apparently my first response to your inquiry got lost in the mail. Here it
        is again:

        [repost from Feb 22, 2009]

        Hello Phil,

        Welcome -

        The Holder-12 traveler is a 1/4" x 4' low stretch halyard or fixed rigging
        type line.

        A minimum line quality in this category would be a double braided, pre
        stretched polyester like New England Rope's Sta-Set. A higher quality would
        be a double braid made using Spectra or Dyneema (two different trade names
        for the same high modulus polyester or HMPE fiber).

        Boat suppliers who carry sailboat equipment will have a rope locker (rack of
        spools) with different size rope in bulk, usually with a choice of quality
        levels. If you don't have a shop nearby there are suppliers on line.

        On-line supplier examples:

        Duckworks Boat Supplies
        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/line/polyester/dbl/index.htm

        Annapolis Performance Sailing
        http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e826.asp

        Mauri Pro Sailing
        http://www.mauriprosailing.com/lines-and-ropes.htm

        West Marine
        http://www.westmarine.com

        Did you download your manual from this group's Files?

        FILES >
        - H12 Manual (All Aluminum Mast Version)
        - H12 Manual (CompTip Generation)

        I'll be happy to post marked-up versions of any of the setup manual graphics
        that appear sketchy. Just let me know what step or steps of the setup you
        are finding unclear.

        [additionally]

        -you wrote-
        > need to know what size block to buy

        Harken #148 Big Bullet Traveler Block (Harken small boat blocks group)
        http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d261000/e260958.asp
        The big bullet block - 38mm single on top (3/8" max. line) and a 29mm single
        on the bottom (5/16 max. line)

        > thin line from the sail that goes along the
        > boom and thru the little holders is too large

        Someone else spoke of encountering this. At the time I was thinking a small
        line, but am now wondering if this might have been a cable and it's location
        along the outside of the boom was a transitional phase before it ended up
        actually running in the boom..., that this phase isn't shown in the catalogs
        or manual. Could you post some pictures of the boom setup you have in the
        group PHOTOS area?

        Wayne

      • Don Hannula
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
          Phil,

          Hopefully you'll get a few responses for your request for rigging help.

          Here are a couple of notes to help out.  I have attached a .pdf file that shows the Holder 12 rigging. This is the one and only instruction I have seen throughout many different on line sources. They all point to this same instruction.

          Regarding the traveler block: Any marine supply should have this, or an equivalent (item #24 in the instruction). This consists of two pulleys attached to each other.  One of them is smaller since it will run along the traveler.  The other pulley is larger since it will interface with the "main sheet" (main rope that controls the sail position).

          The thin line that goes through the boom is the "outhaul".  One end should terminate with a S hook attachment that is to be connected to the CLEW of the sail (farthest corner of the sail away from the mast pocket.  The other end of this line should come out of the boom at the mast end, and is then cleated when the right OUTHAUL tension is achieved.  This adjustment will create the shape of the sail: flat sail, sail with big pocket at the luff.  What size? 3/16" x 6' according to the document.

           If this doesn't help, respond.  I'll take a photo of my traveler assembly.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
            Don,

            Your consideration is appreciated, however Yahoo.com is configured to strip
            any attachments from email being distributed to the group. Instead, would
            you please upload your .pdf file to the group's FILES area.

            Please feel free to ask if you'd like any assistance with your upload.

            Wayne
            Group Moderator

          • doug.bouman
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
              Don, could you send me the same pdf file that shows the Holder rigging.
              Thanks,
              Doug Bouman
              dbouman@...

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
                Doug,

                Have you looked at the manuals the group has right here in the FILES area?

                Files > H12 Manual

                These manuals are much clearer than the one at the Hobie web site.

                ...lots of other information too.

                Let us know if you would like further detail on anything.

                Wayne

              • Don Hannula
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 23, 2009
                  Doug,