Nautical Charts on Google Maps

  • Wayne C
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2009
      All,

      Here's an interesting web link that was just posted to another sailing group
      I belong to.

      It contains overlays of NOAA nautical charts on Google Maps. The charts
      encompass the Great Lakes, all the U.S. coast line, and the U.S.
      territories.

      http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa

      Since this appears to be a demo I'm not sure how long it can be relied on to
      be available.

      As you zoom in you'll find a point where the screen shows one whole chart
      sheet. A cool item to grab for your computer wallpaper. Further zooming will
      bring up even more map detail.

      Key(s) to nautical chart symbols and features. (large pdf files)
      http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/chartno1.htm#toc

    • robertscottlmt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2009
        --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne C" <wayne.sc@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > Here's an interesting web link that was just posted to another
        sailing group
        > I belong to.
        >
        > It contains overlays of NOAA nautical charts on Google Maps. The charts
        > encompass the Great Lakes, all the U.S. coast line, and the U.S.
        > territories.
        >
        > http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa
        >

        > Since this appears to be a demo I'm not sure how long it can be
        relied on to
        > be available.
        >
        > As you zoom in you'll find a point where the screen shows one whole
        chart
        > sheet. A cool item to grab for your computer wallpaper. Further
        zooming will
        > bring up even more map detail.
        >

        > Key(s) to nautical chart symbols and features. (large pdf files)
        > http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/chartno1.htm#toc
        >

        > Wayne

        This is really interesting. Thanks Wayne!

        I'm checking out Lake Mead, because that's where I sail. I haven't
        bothered yet to determine how the depth info on the chart relates to
        how high or low (as is the present situation) the water level in the
        lake is.

        Is there a way to save this chart in my computer in case they take it
        off line?

        Thanks.
      • Wayne C
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2009
          Robert,

          I saw the Google Maps "Print" button. I think that creates a .jpg for your
          printer. If I remember right, you can save the .jpg to a folder from the
          point right before you'd normally tell it to print a hard copy.

          There's probably some piece of software that will capture the "Flash" file
          used by the nautical chart overlay and from there convert it to something
          storable, but I don't have any experience fooling around with those
          programs.

          Lake Mead won't be on the NOAA nautical map, nautical charts only exist for
          waters that are navigated commercially... unless Mead is now getting oil
          tankers and container ships amongst the sightseeing traffic. It will,
          however, be on the Google Maps map or better yet Google Earth.

          Water level in the dynamic of the Google program will only be a snapshot of
          the level when the satellite picture was taken..., six months ago or
          whenever. Better to check with the recreation area web page or the state
          department of natural resources. Good bet they post the daily level you can
          then check against a topo map to see if, say, a particular side canyon is
          floatable right now.

          Wayne