Hull condition

  • Richard Lantz
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2008
      The Holder 12 which I recently purchased has 8"by 10" soft places aft
      of the bow on both sides and a few smaller soft places below the deck
      not extending to the curved portion of the lower hull. There is no
      give when I sit on the bow. I'm not interested in restoring the boat,
      I only wish to sail it. Are these soft places a problem considering
      what I want to do with the boat? There are also a few places on the
      decks that have a bit of give, but there is a bottom.
    • Wayne C
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2008
        Richard,

        Hull stiffness is a bit difficult to convey in email. I generally equate
        "stiff" to a sheet of masonite when discussing the wide flat sections of the
        bottom. There's some overall bowing evident with moderate palm pressure. In
        comparison, "soft" would be more like a cardboard box, where a more
        localized area will dimple. Keep in mind these hulls are only about 3/16" to
        1/4" thick.

        Concentric hairline cracks in the gelcoat layer indicate impact damage and
        might require reinforcement from inside to prevent the fractures from
        opening into the structural layers. Just soft would simply imply fiberglass
        fatigue, either from normal use or, in some instances, improper trailer
        support by too small of a bunk or the use of rollers.

        I've seen many fatigued hulls and never found one that failed (breeched)
        from normal sailing. These hulls just sail somewhat slower due to the
        momentary concave dimple that forms from pressure during the dynamics of
        constant heel angle change. This alteration of the surface breaks up an
        otherwise smooth flow resulting in increased drag. Such hulls are, however,
        more susceptible to damage from impact or uneven pressures by hard objects,
        like a rocky shore.

        Wayne

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2008
          --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne C" <wayne.sc@...> wrote:

          > Richard,
          >
          > Hull stiffness is a bit difficult to convey in email. I generally
          equate
          > "stiff" to a sheet of masonite when discussing the wide flat sections
          of the
          > bottom. There's some overall bowing evident with moderate palm
          pressure. In
          > comparison, "soft" would be more like a cardboard box, where a more
          > localized area will dimple. Keep in mind these hulls are only about
          > 1/4" thick.
          >
          > Concentric hairline cracks in the gelcoat layer indicate impact damage
          and
          > might require reinforcement from inside to prevent the fractures from
          > opening into the structural layers. Just soft would simply imply
          fiberglass
          > fatigue, either from normal use or, in some instances, improper
          trailer
          > support by too small of a bunk or the use of rollers.
          >
          > I've seen many fatigued hulls and never found one that failed
          (breeched)
          > from normal sailing. These hulls just sail somewhat slower due to the
          > momentary concave dimple that forms from pressure during the dynamics
          of
          > constant heel angle change. This alteration of the surface breaks up
          an
          > otherwise smooth flow resulting in increased drag. Such hulls are,
          however,
          > more susceptible to damage from impact or uneven pressures by hard
          objects,
          > like a rocky shore.
          >

          > Wayne

          Thanks Wayne,

          I think the best plan is to sail it and see what happens. I'll take it
          out later this week. I haven't sailed it yet due to time spent on
          modifying a trailer to haul it. The Holder is replacing my Hobie 14
          which takes too much time to prepare for sailing. I'll probably miss the
          speed, but for every action there is a trade off.

          Dick