Painting hulls

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
      I've been wanting to paint my hull for sometime. I don't have any spray
      equipment. Whats the best paint I can use that can be rolled on?
    • Wayne C
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Brad,

        Good brands of marine polyurethane include Interlux, Epifanes, Pettit, and
        Awlgrip. These are the most commonly found names of quality products, there
        are more. Check at your local marine supplier.

        Nearly all these brands are made to level very well when applied with the
        "roll & tip" method. You can also find leveling (flattening) additives that
        can be mixed with to most brands to retard drying and give the paint time to
        flow to a smoothness nearing the appearance of a spray-on job.

        Brief demo video from Jamestown Dist.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCgZfuPb1A

        ...project video
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49HU37Oz04

        Overview of the application process from Interlux
        http://www.boatbuilding.net/article.pl?sid=06/03/15/1853212&mode=thread

        Many of the paint companies have How To instructions specific to their
        brand's flow and drying characteristics at their websites.

        Wayne