Upper Gudgeon Repair

  • jorosi1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello Holder Owners;

      If anyone is interested I just posted pictures of a repair that works
      wonderfully for fixing the upper rudder gudgeon and adding a rudder
      keeper.

      I cut a new stainless steel bracket by hand from some already bent
      material that I found in a scrap metal dumpster. I cut and drilled
      the bracket to match the old one exactly. I then finished the edges
      on a 1" delta belt sander.

      I then went to a Dollar store and found a stainless steel spatula
      that I would cut to act as a rudder keeper. The cut spatula was
      drilled to match the same mounting holes as the upper gudgeon. The
      spatula is flexible so all you have to do to release the rudder is
      press it with your thumb. I had to bend the spatula a little to get
      the right alignment over the bottom pintel of the rudder. The black
      cap on the cut spatula is a cap from a lawnmower wheel height
      adjuster.

      Check out the pictures in the photo album section of this group under
      Upper Gudgeon Repair.

      Thanks
      Jorosi
    • Wayne C