Re: Need help on a rebuild project

  • Dave_Benjamin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      Any old Laser rigs laying around down there in paradise? You might
      be able to cut the upper section smaller and make it work. I have a
      client that just built a small boat that is buying sails for it.
      Other builders have made sails from an improved type of tarp
      material. Do a Google search on Stevenson Boat Projects. I think
      that's the name of the company.

      --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Richard and Harriet" <Richard@...>
      wrote:

      > Beaunas Dias
      >
      > I am trying to make a working sailboat of an old Holder 12 here on
      Isla
      > Mujeres, Mexico.
      >
      > Since I have only remenants of a mast, I need to know how long the
      mast
      > is and how high up on the mast the boom is supposed to be? Also
      need to
      > know how long the tiller handle and extension are?
      >
      > Many thanks! Maybe it will sail again with a make shift sail made
      from
      > a poly tarp. Any help on this idea would also be appreciated.
      >
      > Richard - Casa Flamboyan

    • jazzjim123
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
        Hello Richard,

        Nice to hear from you in one of my favorite places on earth! The Holder 12 you're
        working on may very well be the same one I enjoyed sailing off the beach on the
        North end of Isla Muejeras (Coco Beach?). It was the first time I sailed a Holder 12
        and I can't imagine a nicer setting than on the clear aqua blue waters and gently
        rolling surf of the Carribe! We loved our visit there, enjoying conch, hopping around
        the island on a moped, swimming in the warm waters in January. Back home, when a
        used Holder 12 became available I bought it immediately!

        I no longer have my Holder 12 but I spent hundreds of hours of very enjoyable sailing
        her around the Seattle area including the weekly Duck Dodge race. I'm now sailing a
        Laser which is faster but a much more physically demanding boat. Good luck on your
        project, I can definitely say the H12 is a great beach boat for Isla Muejeras!

        Jim Wilke

        PS to all: there's a new Duck Dodge website at www.duckdodge.org - My Laser shows
        up in the results as "O Barquinho" (after the Brazilian song translated as "My Little
        Boat".)

        --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Richard and Harriet" <Richard@...> wrote:

        > Beaunas Dias
        >
        > I am trying to make a working sailboat of an old Holder 12 here on Isla
        > Mujeres, Mexico.
        >
        > Since I have only remenants of a mast, I need to know how long the mast
        > is and how high up on the mast the boom is supposed to be? Also need to
        > know how long the tiller handle and extension are?
        >
        > Many thanks! Maybe it will sail again with a make shift sail made from
        > a poly tarp. Any help on this idea would also be appreciated.
        >
        > Richard - Casa Flamboyan

      • Richard Lowe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          If you ever want to come back check out www.casaflamboyan.com