Can H-12 solve world water shortage?

  • Bernie Heer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
      I have my new-to-me H-12 parked next to my garage for the time being. The last 5 days have been hot and dry here in the lovely Garden State of New Jersey.

      However, at the end of each day, I remove the hull drain plug and tip the H-12 backward... and about a ½ cup of water drains out.

      Is it just mine, or does anyone else's H-12 have the ability to generate water?

      Also, I'm wondering how I can get filthy rich off of this... any ideas would be much appreciated.

      Bernie Heer

      Gelfond & Co.

      1973 Washington Valley Road

      Martinsville, NJ 08836

      732-356-9100

      732-356-5010 fax

      This message and any attachments are solely for the
      intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
      disclosure, copying, use or distribution of the information
      included in this message is prohibited -- Please
      immediately and permanently delete.

    • james burt
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
        sounds like the hull had absorbed some water before you brought her home and with
        it being dry and closed up, it is sweating / condensation, builds up when it cools down
        and this is what you are pouring out. might want to leave the drain plug out for a day
        and see if it happens again or even tip her up slightly so that when it does build up
        it can drain out freely.
        i always leave the plugs out of all my boats, afraid that the heat will build up and pop a seam or that the water will find some out of the way spot and freeze.

        Bernie Heer <bernie@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://www.frappr.com/funseeker

        Hobie cat Sailing clubs Boats for sale Holder

      • Karin Phares
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
          I have a holder for sale.....$500 OBO. Needs a rudder but has a brand new sail and lines if anyone is interested
          Located in San DIego

          Hobie cat
          Sailing clubs
          Boats for sale

          Holder

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "Holder12" on the web.

        • james burt

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
              Bernie, James,

              Considering the hot weather and that you are discovering the water at the
              end of the day not the cool of the morning my vote is condensation of a
              different sort.

              There are pieces of styrofoam inside the hull for emergency flotation. If
              water gets into the hull... a leak, loose drain plug, something like that...
              the inner hull becomes a steam bath. The water in a vapor state crosses
              through the cell walls of the foam in the same manner a party balloon leaks
              air out. Under the current atmospheric conditions of hot and dry the process
              is reversing. This is a good thing.

              Best to leave the drain plug open when storing the boat to help keep that
              inner hull dry.

              BTW - somewhere there is a tiny 1/16" hole in the hull, maybe under a
              fitting. It's purpose is to allow the hull to equalize pressure as the
              barometer changes or when it's parked in the sun after being stored in the
              shade.

              Wayne

              Bernie Heer <bernie@...> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Wayne C
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
                IF YOU CHANGE THE CONTENT OF YOUR MESSAGE AWAY FROM THE THREAD PLEASE
                REMEMBER TO REVISE THE SUBJECT LINE TOO.

                THANKS,

                THE MANAGEMENT

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
                  I prefer to store my small boats with the drain plug removed and the
                  trailer propped up so any water will drain. Condensation forms inside
                  hulls. Over time the moisture weakens the fiberglass. It's also a
                  good idea to leave inspection ports cracked open a bit so the hull
                  can "breathe." For boats with inspection ports installed on deck or
                  other horizontal surface I simply cover them with a small bucket that
                  has holes drilled in the side. The bucket can be secured with shock
                  cord or weighted. Many of these habits I picked up from owning a
                  racing catamaran. Beach cat hulls are notorious for absorbing water
                  and going soft. One of the first things I inspect on a trailered boat
                  is how it's been stored. If the poor thing is bow low and the plug is
                  installed I look closely for soft spots.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
                    the sail cost $200.00 and has been used maybe 3-4 times

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
                      Dave et al,

                      -You Wrote-
                      >> Beach cat hulls are notorious for
                      >> absorbing water and going soft.

                      Actually owners of small boats are notorious for neglecting their craft.
                      Fiberglass isn't absolutely waterproof and beach-boats have thin skins, but
                      atmospheric humidity isn't the culprit. Mooring for long periods, like a
                      whole summer, will find water penetrating to the interior. Most often though
                      it's a case of poor storage or neglect. Boats stored where they collect
                      water in the cockpit and it's allowed to sit for months. Boats stored under
                      a tarp with no breathing space between tarp and deck. These both result in
                      chalky spots so soft you can dig a fingernail into the gelcoat. After time
                      the spot becomes a blister as the moisture seeps past the gelcoat into glass
                      cloth layers. For those boats in northern climes freeze-thaw worsens the
                      damage. The worst cause of all is the owner who doesn't drain and ventilate
                      the inner hull after every sail. Slight condensation from atmospheric
                      moisture cooled by the hull's contact with cool lake water builds up with
                      time. A few drops an outing become a steam bath softening the fiberglass
                      from the inside not to mention the osmosis taking water vapor into the cells
                      of the flotation foam. Boats get softer and heavier with every season. I
                      advocate an inspection port in every hull simply to facilitate air
                      circulation. Compounding this is the boat with a leak. If you open your
                      drain plug and get a 1/2 cup or more water after each sail outing you have a
                      leak. Draining the hull still leaves a wet inner hull to do it's steam bath
                      stuff. Boats in this condition need a leak check and repair.

                      Wayne

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
                        is it for a holder-12?
                        what color?
                        if you would like to sell it seperate from the boat, i am very interested

                        Karin Phares <kpdragonfly@...> wrote:
                        the sail cost $200.00 and has been used maybe 3-4 times

                        Hobie cat
                        Sailing clubs
                        Boats for sale

                        Holder

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        Visit your group "Holder12" on the web.

                        http://www.frappr.com/funseeker

                        Hobie cat Sailing clubs Boats for sale Holder

                        ---------------------------------

                      • Bernie Heer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
                          So... no ideas on getting filthy rich then...

                          My H-12 sat in the woods for the last six years... through summer and
                          winter. Cockpit up, no cover... but thankfully transom lowered with
                          hull drain plug more or less open (semi-plugged with an old pencil and a
                          wad of paper). Although I'm certain the foam is wet, the boat doesn't
                          feel that heavy. I can lift it onto my car-top by myself (using the old
                          canoe-flip-with-the-knee trick I learned on canoe trips with the
                          Scouts). I'm no muscle-man... and it's quite a strain to do it... but
                          it can't be much more than the 125 lbs it's supposed to be.

                          I guess I'd better go ahead and cut those inspection ports I was going
                          to add sooner rather than later...

                          There is a tiny hole in the deck just aft of the mast socket, right
                          where the little channel begins... this maybe the 1/16th hole that was
                          mentioned. Looks nice and round like it was meant to be there...

                          Bernie Heer
                        • james burt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 5, 2006
                            karin,

                            not heard back from you, i am still intrested in buying the sail and daggerboard if you
                            would like to sell them seperate from the boat.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 5, 2006
                              I'll keep your address if it should come to that. But am going to try ebay and craig's list first.
                              Thanks
                              Karin

                              Hobie cat
                              Sailing clubs
                              Sailing

                              Ocean sailing
                              Sailing adventure
                              Sailing camp

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
                                  Karin,

                                  I am interested in your Holder 12. Please drop me a line either off-
                                  line or on post.

                                  Thank you,
                                  Tony

                                  --- In Holder12@yahoogroups.com, "Karin Phares" <kpdragonfly@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I'll keep your address if it should come to that. But am going to
                                  try ebay and craig's list first.
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Karin
                                  >

                                  > Hobie cat
                                  > Sailing clubs
                                  > Sailing
                                  >
                                  > Ocean sailing
                                  > Sailing adventure
                                  > Sailing camp
                                  >

                                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                  >
                                  > Visit your group "Holder12" on the web.
                                  > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: Holder12-
                                  unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                  Service.

                                • james burt
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 15, 2006
                                    karin,

                                    wondering if you had any luck selling you h-12 yet?
                                    i am still interested in buying the sail, daggerboard and other gear.