New Holder Hawk owner looking for parts & help

  • daveharkins45
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
      Greetings to all! I was given an abandoned Holder Hawk that is in
      great shape but is missing the sail and lower section of the mast.
      Would anyone know of a website or company PH# where I might be able to
      find the lower section of the mast and a used sail (or specs for the
      sail so I could have one made).

      I'm close to Lake Norman here in NC and I would love to teach my two
      13 yr old sons how to sail this fall.

      I'm new to the Hobie Holder's so if you can help in any way please let
      me know, I would really appreciate it.

      Thanks,

      Dave
    • yelodwg
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
        Hi Dave,

        I live in California and bought a Holder Hawk this summer. I still
        have not had it out on the water, but I did everything needed to get
        it in tip-top shape!

        Have you been here:

        http://www.hobiecat.com

        http://www.hobiecat.com/support/index.html - click on "Product
        Support" under Sailboats and scroll all the way to the bottom for
        parts and the owner's manual

        http://www.hobiecat.com/community/index.php - Hobie Cat forum to ask
        questions that don't get answered here.

        There have been posts on here (Yahoo Groups: Holder 12) regarding
        sails.

        And of course, keep checking eBay.

        Good luck!

        Tom Stephens
      • Wayne Carney
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
          Hi Dave,

          As Tom mentioned Hobie has a parts diagram and list of parts that may still
          be available.

          You can inquire of HobieCat at info@.... If they have what you are
          looking for they will most likely direct you to your local dealer for
          ordering. The factory rarely sells direct.

          The manual is also available right here at our group website in the FILES
          area. To visit this group on the web, go to:

          Hobie may also have sails or a connection to a sailmaker who will make one
          from the original pattern.

          If not Schurr Sails lists one -
          http://www.schurrsails.com/odcat.html

          Ask here at Porpoise -
          http://www.porpoisesailing.com/

          Super Sailmakers Lists one -
          http://www.supersailmakers.com/production/g-h.htm

          Let us know how you make out.

          Wayne

        • Mike the Seat Guy
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
            Dave - I recently purchased an "escape" sail (see the post to the group)-
            the mast pocket is narrower at the tip than the H-12, and I don't know what
            the specs are for the H-9 in that regards, but the price was quite right
            ($33 shipped). I am pretty certain that the e-bayer I got it from has access
            to more...
            Item #: 4573728112 Email him and ask if he has any more - I did after
            finding his offers under expired auctions.
            If you get one of those you'll probably need to adjust the mast base for
            your H-9 'cause I think it's taller. If not, the basic shapre is pretty good
            and you can get it modified by a sail-repair guy.
            The "lower" on your mast is a piece of 2-1/2"OD thin-wall anodized
            aluminum with a plastic end and a spigot for the boom. There are also a
            cleat and a "bail" to attach a block to. It's about 8'10" on the H-12. by
            thin-wall I mean the ID is a little over 2-3/8" - the mast is a smooth fit
            inside, so if your mast is different than mine adjust size accordingly.
            Alternate options would be to go for a 7.2m plus-or-minus windsurf
            sail/mast/boom. They are designed for 10'-12' boards and should perform
            pretty well - just the prices are not terrific...

            Happy sailing, Mike

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
              Wayne, thanks so much for the info and help. I've gotten alot of responses
              and hopefully I'll have some luck finding these items. I'll let you know if
              I find them.

              Thanks again,
              Dave

              >From: "Wayne Carney" <wayne.sc@...>
              >To: <Holder12@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [Holder12] New Holder Hawk owner looking for parts & help
              >Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:29:23 -0600
              >
              >Hi Dave,
              >
              >As Tom mentioned Hobie has a parts diagram and list of parts that may still
              >be available.
              >
              >You can inquire of HobieCat at info@.... If they have what you are
              >looking for they will most likely direct you to your local dealer for
              >ordering. The factory rarely sells direct.
              >
              >The manual is also available right here at our group website in the FILES
              >area. To visit this group on the web, go to:
              >

              >Hobie may also have sails or a connection to a sailmaker who will make one
              >from the original pattern.
              >
              >If not Schurr Sails lists one -
              >http://www.schurrsails.com/odcat.html
              >
              >Ask here at Porpoise -
              >http://www.porpoisesailing.com/
              >
              >Super Sailmakers Lists one -
              >http://www.supersailmakers.com/production/g-h.htm
              >
              >Let us know how you make out.
              >

              >Wayne

            • Dave Harkins
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
                Thanks to everyone for all the responses and help! I'll take a look at e-bay
                for that item# and some of the other sources for the lower mast section.
                I'll let you know what I find.

                Thanks to all!
                Dave