2418RE: [Holder12] Mainsail Question for Wayne C

  • Wayne C
    Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Dave,

      To create a halyard hauled sail out of a sleeved sail you'll need to add...

      - Mast hoops
      - A masthead block
      - A mast cleat or deck cleat
      - A halyard
      - (optional) Topping lift

      Sail supplies -
      http://www.sailmakerssupply.com

      http://www.sailrite.com

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com

      The Gail Kellor page in Shorty's links is the one you want, but his web site
      has been down for awhile. Shorty did a tarp sail hooped on a mast with
      Zip-ties... it works but is very low budget and temporary.

      What you will be doing is making a mast hoop system like wooden dinghies use
      to use before masts with grooves for the sail luff or sleeved sails came
      along.

      Like this... this is a catboat so just look at the mast hoops, but disregard
      the upper spar.
      http://www.beetlecat.org/pics/pic1.jpg

      Sailmakers Supply has a book that covers this method.

      One thing I'm not clear on is how Gail or Shorty kept the two mast sections
      together without the sleeve covering.

      Wayne

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic