2176RE: [Holder12] Rudder Operation

  • Wayne C
    Nov 5, 2008
      Richard,

      To bring the rudder blade up it takes some practice to master the swift, but
      not too jerky motion to give the blade momentum for getting beyond the
      control rod's over-center point. Once the control rod moves beyond center,
      letting the shock cord lower the tiller brings the blade into the up
      position. Yup, ain't like the cat rudder - different mechanics. Mine needs
      help too, sometimes. Works better in the water than on the trailer.

      Sounds like there's little or no tension on your shock cord when the tiller
      is down in the normal sailing position. Load the shock cord with the tension
      you desire for keeping the blade in the down position when the boat's under
      way.

      Wayne

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic