RE: [HIT Digest] Monkey grips/gym-floor accidents

  • Darren Wall
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
      > What's the worst accident you guys have had in the gym? I
      > have caught Mr. Dude down there between two 45s -- twice. I
      > also pinched my thumb between the sled and the safety catch
      > of an unfamiliar leg press. That one really, really hurt!
      >
      > Miguel

      Just 3 weeks ago; first leg workout using the German Volume Training.
      Completed 10 sets of 10 reps of squats super-setted with lying leg
      curls. Afterwards tried to do standing calf raises. Fell out of the
      groove and couldn't support the weight with my already beat legs.
      Dropped to the ground like a girl. Luckily the safety catches in my
      squat cage caught the bar before it crashed to the ground with me
      underneath! Decided I better stick with seated calf raises after the
      GVT leg workout..

      --------
      Thanks,

      -Darren
    • Ken ONeill
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
        When I was 18 years old, was doing squats in the college gym. one of those old six foot bars with standard plates and a really crappy squat rack - probably a Weider set. anyway I was working out alone, around 165 lbs bodyweight, coming out of the low phase of a set of ten with 275 when I lost it. all i remember is trying to quickly crawl through space-time to get out of the way of that descending bar. all but my left foot made it. that 275 came down on my little toe, breaking it - couldn't get a pair of shoes on for nearly two weeks due to the swelling. anti-inflammatories didn't exist then. lesson: always squat with a spotter or in a power rack or Iron staircase.

        At other times I stuck with upwards of 250 on my chest doing bench presses. learned to slide it down, sit up, then deadlift it to the floor. that's when the old benches had uprights right next to the bench. again, training alone in our garage gym - after high school three of us combined weights in one of our parent's garage. lifting alone, again.

        that's the worse of it for me

        Ken ONeill
        Long Life Fitness
        kayoneill@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          Darren's and Ken's anecdotes remind me of two other incidents: Yeah, the infamous missed bench-press max attempted --and failed-- alone at home. Luckily I had placed a hardcover book betweek my chest and the bar, so I rolled the back against the book and it protected me from injury. The book was destroyed.

          I also got stuck about two inches before lockout on the last rep of a set of dumbbell inclines. I strained there for a long time, trying to grind through, but then my arms just quit completely and the dumbbells crashed all the way down and onto my pecs.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/DbF9UC/lbOLAA/xGEGAA/WpSolB/TM

          > The HIT Digest is a feature of Cyberpump! http://www.cyberpump.com
          >
          > HIT Digest email addresses:
          > Post message: Hitdigest@yahoogroups.com
          > Subscribe: Hitdigest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > Unsubscribe:
          >
          > Shortcut URL to this page:
          >
          > Please review the Rules of the Digest at
          > http://www.cyberpump.com/hitdigest/rules.html

          Correo Yahoo!
          Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y antispam
          ¡gratis!

          Correo Yahoo!