Re: [HIT Digest] Fat and sugar, and, of course, immortality

  • Miguel Angel Perez
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2004
      Fats carry essential vitamins, A, D, E, K. Sugars do
      not. Sugars rot your teeth. If you eat no carbs, you
      do not get any cavities! The membranes of our cells
      are made of fat. It is important that we take in
      saturated fats predominantly so that our cells are
      made of saturated fat, and not unsaturates, which are
      to soft at the temperature the body operates and give
      cell membranes less integrity and resistance. Stuff
      like that and much more at www.WestonAPrice.org
      Miguel

      --- Rickey Ingrassia <r1ckey@...> escribió:

      > Sugars are worse. They are heavily processed and
      > refined (meaning they
      > are chemicals). Fat is produced by Mother Nature,
      > and is an important
      > component to life. However, like any good thing,
      > too much is a bad thing.
      >
      > As for living forever...what would living to 150 be
      > like? Would you be
      > a vegetable? Would you have the body and mind of a
      > 30 year old? Dying
      > doesn't worry me, being alive without living does.
      >
      > --rickey
      >
      > Sarn Ursell wrote:
      >

      > > Which is worse for you, fat or sugar?
      > >
      > > I am not really that much of a follower of fad
      > diets, I have been
      > > given a vegetable juice extractor by my Uncle, and
      > I drink beet root
      > > and carrot juice, and also, when I can afford
      > them, I eat colored,
      > > BRIGHTLY colored fruit and vegetables....
      > >
      > > The reason that I brought this subject up, is
      > becuase I'm reading a
      > > book by an author called Terry Grossman, who is a
      > doctor, claiming
      > > that within the next 20 years, and CERTAINLY
      > within the next 50 years,
      > > that the technology will exist to render it
      > possible to live forever.
      > >
      > > Please, I do require some thoughts, comments and
      > feedback on this
      > > subject...
      > >
      > > I mean, DO YOU THINK that is is, well, "POSSIBLE"?
      > >
      > > At one stage in my life I would have thought that
      > living forever was a
      > > curse, but now I see it as a blessing.
      > >
      > > In the book, THE BABY BOOMER'S GUIDE TO LIVING
      > FOREVER, Terry Grossman
      > > M.D. gives VERY bad press to sugar, and not so
      > bad, but still fairly
      > > bad press to fats.
      > >
      > > I have visions of a future with no war, a friendly
      > safe enviroment,
      > > bioports, neural implants, virtual reality, stem
      > cells,
      > > nanotechnology, computer brain interfaces.
      > >
      > > There is another book by Ray Kurtzweil coming out,
      > I am a fan of his
      > > writeing, and this is titled FANTASTIC VOYAGE,
      > LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO
      > > LIVE FOREVER.
      > >
      > > Any thoughts on this?
      > >
      > > ---Sarn.
    • Jerry Mitchell
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        I think its pretty much a given that now we have mapped most our DNA,
        its only a matter of time till we find the internal clock. Gene therapy
        (using viral vectors) to deliver genes that can turn off (or
        selectively set!) the clock are coming. I think the 20-50 year timeline
        is reasonable. It wouldnt shock me to see life enhancing genes out
        there, with the possibility of being in the marketplace much sooner then
        that even.

        Sarn Ursell wrote:

        >Which is worse for you, fat or sugar?
        >
        >I am not really that much of a follower of fad diets, I have been given a vegetable juice extractor by my Uncle, and I drink beet root and carrot juice, and also, when I can afford them, I eat colored, BRIGHTLY colored fruit and vegetables....
        >
        >The reason that I brought this subject up, is becuase I'm reading a book by an author called Terry Grossman, who is a doctor, claiming that within the next 20 years, and CERTAINLY within the next 50 years, that the technology will exist to render it possible to live forever.
        >
        >Please, I do require some thoughts, comments and feedback on this subject...
        >
        >I mean, DO YOU THINK that is is, well, "POSSIBLE"?
        >
        >At one stage in my life I would have thought that living forever was a curse, but now I see it as a blessing.
        >
        >In the book, THE BABY BOOMER'S GUIDE TO LIVING FOREVER, Terry Grossman M.D. gives VERY bad press to sugar, and not so bad, but still fairly bad press to fats.
        >
        >I have visions of a future with no war, a friendly safe enviroment, bioports, neural implants, virtual reality, stem cells, nanotechnology, computer brain interfaces.
        >
        >There is another book by Ray Kurtzweil coming out, I am a fan of his writeing, and this is titled FANTASTIC VOYAGE, LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO LIVE FOREVER.
        >
        >Any thoughts on this?
        >
        >---Sarn.

      • Rickey Ingrassia
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
          This made me think about this a little more, like the side effects of
          living forever. In the U.S. there is already a strain on the Social
          Security system due to many things, but is that people are living
          longer. So I can imagine that there would be a huge socio-economic
          impact if people were living for ever. Governments that allowed this
          technology in the market would have to use some sort of population
          control in order to keep the population from outgrowing its resources.

          In nature, every living thing has its cycles. Life, death and then in
          death providing life. This has the potential to upset the natural order
          of all life.

          This wouldn't stop with humans, at least not intentionally. What would
          the common cold look like after be passed around for 50 years in
          genetically altered humans? Or any virus or bacteria that lives within
          a human being?

          --rickey

          Jerry Mitchell wrote:

          > I think its pretty much a given that now we have mapped most our DNA,
          > its only a matter of time till we find the internal clock. Gene therapy
          > (using viral vectors) to deliver genes that can turn off (or
          > selectively set!) the clock are coming. I think the 20-50 year timeline
          > is reasonable. It wouldnt shock me to see life enhancing genes out
          > there, with the possibility of being in the marketplace much sooner then
          > that even.
          >

          > Sarn Ursell wrote:
          >
          > >Which is worse for you, fat or sugar?
          > >
          > >I am not really that much of a follower of fad diets, I have been
          > given a vegetable juice extractor by my Uncle, and I drink beet root
          > and carrot juice, and also, when I can afford them, I eat colored,
          > BRIGHTLY colored fruit and vegetables....
          > >
          > >The reason that I brought this subject up, is becuase I'm reading a
          > book by an author called Terry Grossman, who is a doctor, claiming
          > that within the next 20 years, and CERTAINLY within the next 50 years,
          > that the technology will exist to render it possible to live forever.
          > >
          > >Please, I do require some thoughts, comments and feedback on this
          > subject...
          > >
          > >I mean, DO YOU THINK that is is, well, "POSSIBLE"?
          > >
          > >At one stage in my life I would have thought that living forever was
          > a curse, but now I see it as a blessing.
          > >
          > >In the book, THE BABY BOOMER'S GUIDE TO LIVING FOREVER, Terry
          > Grossman M.D. gives VERY bad press to sugar, and not so bad, but still
          > fairly bad press to fats.
          > >
          > >I have visions of a future with no war, a friendly safe enviroment,
          > bioports, neural implants, virtual reality, stem cells,
          > nanotechnology, computer brain interfaces.
          > >
          > >There is another book by Ray Kurtzweil coming out, I am a fan of his
          > writeing, and this is titled FANTASTIC VOYAGE, LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO
          > LIVE FOREVER.
          > >
          > >Any thoughts on this?
          > >
          > >---Sarn.

        • Miguel Angel Perez
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
            Hey, check this out:

            New Chip for Those with Memory Loss
            A chip that replaces your hippocampus may be your
            source for memories if you ever experience a stroke,
            alzheimers, or other head trauma. A group of
            scientists from several universities have created a
            chip that can interact with your brain and store your
            memories, and they believe the chip will be tested and
            ready for use in humans within 15 years, if all goes
            well. Testing will be difficult-- scientists can't
            think of all the same things you might think about--
            but right now, the chip is successful in storing
            memories, with a 95 percent accuracy rate.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/WpSolB/TM

            > The HIT Digest is a feature of Cyberpump!
            > http://www.cyberpump.com
            >
            > HIT Digest email addresses:
            > Post message: Hitdigest@yahoogroups.com
            > Subscribe: Hitdigest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            > Unsubscribe:
            >
            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            >
            > Please review the Rules of the Digest at
            > http://www.cyberpump.com/hitdigest/rules.html

          • Jerry Mitchell
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
              If your really ready to have your mind blown... try the http://www.sl4.org .

              Its not real fun to navigate, but theres a TON of info there on future
              technologies and directions for evolution.

              As for the population thing, dont worry. Theres a ton of directions out
              of that problem..

              Space Travel
              Mind Downloading
              Building down or up