Re: [HIT Digest] Impy's Book Club: Kinesiology of Sports by Yessis

  • Chris Caron
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 4:17 AM
      I thought the reason for doing isolation exercises like leg extensions
      was to pre-exhaust the quads before compound exercises like squats and
      leg presses because your glutes will fail before your quads, so your
      quads will never get worked out. Same goes for flyes and bench
      presses - your biceps will fail before your pecs.

      Chris

      --- In Hitdigest@yahoogroups.com, Patforpres@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 3/31/2004 4:11:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > impymcferguson@m... writes:
      > If anyone wants to disagree I'm
      > interested as I've heard such negative things about the leg
      > extensions, but what else is new?
      > I won't say it's a "bad" exercise, but why waste your time? It
      certainly
      > doesn't have the systemic effects of the squat, nor the
      cardiovascular effects.
      > In general I think isolation moves lead to a higher risk of
      overtraining, as
      > well.

    • kevindill2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 10:33 AM
        Leg extensions, like any other isolation exercise, can be a useful
        tool. The are good for re-hab, training around an injury, bringing
        up a lagging part, and balancing out a routine. They are no subsitute
        for big compund exercises. For a beginner and intermediate lifter
        with no injuries, use of isolation exercises should be limited. As
        you become more advanced they become more useful to maintain a body
        part while focusing on a lift that may not provide sufficient
        stimulus to a given body part. As an example, you wish to spend the
        next several weeks focusing on your deadlift. Adding the leg
        extension to your routine will work your quads more than they will get
        with just the DL, but not cut into your recovery to any great extent.
        Some find this use of leg extensions useful. YMMV
      • Patforpres@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 2:04 PM
          In a message dated 4/1/2004 8:56:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          cfcaron@... writes:
          I thought the reason for doing isolation exercises like leg extensions
          was to pre-exhaust the quads before compound exercises like squats and
          leg presses because your glutes will fail before your quads, so your
          quads will never get worked out. Same goes for flyes and bench
          presses - your biceps will fail before your pecs.
          Well it seems that this danger of quads never getting worked might be
          overstated. From the argument, it would follow that unless you preexhaust, you will
          never really work the quads, and we have plenty of evidence that people have
          gotten big quads (not to mention soreness) without doing any isolation work.

        • Seth Breidbart
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 2:49 PM
            > I thought the reason for doing isolation exercises like leg
            > extensions

            There is no "the reason". There are probably twice as many reasons as
            there are people doing them.

            Seth
          • Chris Caron
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2 3:45 AM
              Pardon me, I should have used the indefinite rather than the definite
              article - "I thought a reason..."