Re: [HIT Digest] Help with my workout plan.

  • Erik M.
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2003
      Thanks neppem,

      Can you elaborate on the stretches or direct me to a
      resource. I do some I learned in therapy for my nerve
      injury. I would like to hear a description of the
      rotator warmup also.

      Erik

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • neppem
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2003
        I figured I'd just answer both questions involving my rotator cuff
        routine in one reply. (For Dr. Bob and Erik)

        Stretches: I'll paste the instructions on the stretches as well as
        give the url where you can see a pic of how it's done.

        1. In the stretch to the left, simply stand upright and clasp you
        hands behind your back. Keep your arms straight and slowly lift your
        hands upwards. Hold this stretch for about 15 to 20 seconds. (I do
        this one twice with a 20 or so second rest in between)

        2. In the stretch to the right, stand with your arm out and your
        forearm pointing upwards at 90 degrees. Place a broom stick or pole
        in your hand and let it fall behind your elbow. With your other hand,
        pull the bottom of the stick forward. Be especially careful with this
        stretch, it will put a large strain on the rotator cuff muscles and
        tendons. As above hold this stretch for about 15 to 20 seconds. (I
        like to do 1 set of this stretch each shoulder and spend about 30
        seconds on it slowly pulling a bit on the broom handle...gentle pull,
        but enough to make the stretch go a bit farther)

        http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/rotator-cuff-
        injury.htm (About 2/3's the way down the page)

        Exercises: There are 4 exercises I do in quick succession (One set
        each), I have no idea what any of them are called (With the exception
        of the lying l-fly) so I'll paste some info on them and then give the
        url where pics are found, just as before.

        1. Start by lying on your stomach on a table or a bed. Put your left
        arm out at shoulder level with your elbow bent to 90° and your hand
        down. Keep your elbow bent, and slowly raise your left hand. Stop
        when your hand is level with your shoulder. Lower the hand slowly.
        Repeat the exercise until your arm is tired. Then do the exercise
        with your right arm.

        2. Lying L-Fly - Lie on your right side with a rolled-up towel under
        your right armpit. Stretch your right arm above your head. Keep your
        left arm at your side with your elbow bent to 90° and the forearm
        resting against your chest, palm down. Roll your left shoulder out,
        raising the left forearm until it's level with your shoulder. (Hint:
        This is like the backhand swing in tennis.) Lower the arm slowly.
        Repeat the exercise until your arm is tired. Then do the exercise
        with your right arm.

        3. Lie on your right side. Keep your left arm along the upper side
        of your body. Bend your right elbow to 90°. Keep the right forearm
        resting on the table. Now roll your right shoulder in, raising your
        right forearm up to your chest. (Hint: This is like the forehand
        swing in tennis.) Lower the forearm slowly. Repeat the exercise until
        your arm is tired. Then do the exercise with your left arm.

        4. The fourth exercise I don't do the way this picture shows...it
        appears as though this is just a slight lateral raise with a twist in
        the middle (45 degrees or so of motion), but I do mine with my arm
        bent 90 degrees using 90 degrees of motion and no twist. A buddy of
        mine used to call what I do "Milk Jugs" (the motion is kind of like
        an odd way to pour milk) but I'm not sure what it's popularly
        called. Just hold the weight in your hand, and do a lateral raise
        while holding your arm bent at 90 degrees the whole time. I'm not
        sure why but when I do lateral raises with my arms straight it puts a
        lot of stress on my shoulders, I can do them with my arm bent no
        problem.
        If anyone has any experience with the way the picture shows to do it
        can you give me any information as to what area it works and if it is
        effective? Seems kind of odd to me, more of a stretch than an
        exercise.

        http://familydoctor.org/handouts/265.html

        I'm not exactly sure if these are the perfect exercises/stretches for
        everyone to be doing, all I know is that since I started doing them
        pre-workout my shoulders have been 100x happier than they were
        before. Unfortunately when I first started lifting I was doing the
        4-5 sets per exercise and 4-6 exercises per body part and I just put
        way too much stress on my rotator cuffs that way (Don't even get me
        started on the evils of decline bench press for my body). I suppose
        someday a cortizone shot might be in order or even some sort of
        surgery but in the meantime this works great for me.

        Greg Kirschner

        Service.

      • dmaher1232002
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2003
          Hi Neppem,

          Considering that you're doing each workout once a week there is a
          bit much overlapping there.

          Workout A seems quite good, but I'd probably drop the lat pull down
          from Workout B and concerntrate on the rows. The benching and
          tricep extensions could be replaced by dips. I'm not one for
          crunches, but hey . . .

          Anyway, I'm sure you'll fine tune a few things for yourself in the
          coming weeks.

          Let us know how you're going,

          David.