Binging

  • TenncJed@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
      I recently had a "discussion" at the gym with a person who, upon hearing that
      someone had binged the night before, told this person that they are okay,
      that the human body is only capible of processing a certain amount of
      calories and the rest are passed out of the body, undigested. I said that I
      believed that the body will process all calories that it can, but the point
      was interesting.

      Does anyone have any insight on what happens if someone eats 1000-2000 or
      even more calories at a sitting. Can the body process that much at one time,
      or is there a limit? What happens after the limit is passed, and how does
      the body decide where the limit is?

      Thanks, and I hope that this isn't too off topic.

      Rich

    • Liz Beasley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
        I've often wondered this... I think maybe it might
        be what your body "needs" such as protein, after
        a heavy workout. But if it's all kinds of stuff,
        it might get all mixed together and be hard for
        the body to create the proper enzymes???

        Interesting...

        --Liz

        --- TenncJed@... wrote:
        > Does anyone have any insight on what happens if
        > someone eats 1000-2000 or
        > even more calories at a sitting. Can the body
        > process that much at one time,
        > or is there a limit? What happens after the limit
        > is passed, and how does
        > the body decide where the limit is?

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • David Lewandowski, D.C.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
          At 04:49 PM 3/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
          >I recently had a "discussion" at the gym with a person who, upon hearing that
          >someone had binged the night before, told this person that they are okay,
          >that the human body is only capible of processing a certain amount of
          >calories and the rest are passed out of the body, undigested. I said that I
          >believed that the body will process all calories that it can, but the point
          >was interesting.
          >
          >Does anyone have any insight on what happens if someone eats 1000-2000 or
          >even more calories at a sitting. Can the body process that much at one time,
          >or is there a limit? What happens after the limit is passed, and how does
          >the body decide where the limit is?
          >
          >Thanks, and I hope that this isn't too off topic.
          >
          >Rich

          The point at which you are able to store excess calories is
          dependent on several factors such as your cells resistance to insulin, the
          amount of muscle you carry, the type of food eaten, your hormone levels,
          activity level and intensity of that activity in relation to the time you
          eat, emotional state, and a variety of other factors.

          Dr. Dave
        • Jeff Novick
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
            At 04:49 PM 3/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
            >I recently had a "discussion" at the gym with a person who, upon hearing
            that
            >someone had binged the night before, told this person that they are okay,
            >that the human body is only capible of processing a certain amount of
            >calories and the rest are passed out of the body, undigested. I said that
            >believed that the body will process all calories that it can, but the point
            >was interesting.
            >
            >Does anyone have any insight on what happens if someone eats 1000-2000 or
            >even more calories at a sitting. Can the body process that much at one
            time,
            >or is there a limit? What happens after the limit is passed, and how does
            >the body decide where the limit is?

            THere is an interesting article on this issue here ..

            http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/1997/971006.a.htm