Re: [HIT Digest] Dumbness

  • Seth Breidbart
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      If you really want to understand what happens when you low-carb, I
      recommend "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. More technical
      detail than you could want.

      And, it helps cure insomnia.

      Seth
    • diesl12
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
        --- In Hitdigest@y..., "Mark E." <marke@s...> wrote:
        > To Chad:
        > I endorse Dr. Dave's comments. I've followed a high
        protein/fat, low-carb diet for a couple of years now. By surfing the
        net I found a web-site called Extique.com and bought a book written
        by Rob Faigin. I think it's a well-written, well-researched book
        that thorougly explains this kind of diet and the dangers of a high-
        carb diet. The book explains how to make the metabolic shift from
        burning carbs for energy to burning fat, which takes roughly a week,
        and I didn't notice any extreme dumbness when I made this shift.
        > You may want to check this out. I'm very glad that I did.
        > Mark E.
        >
        > Message: 3
        > Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:29:20 -0800
        > From: "David Lewandowski, D.C." <drdave@a...>
        > Subject: Re: How does one avoid being dumb while cutting?
        >
        > At 03:56 PM 10/30/02 +0000, you wrote:
        > >Okay, for a couple of months now I've been working hard to cut my
        bodyfat down. I've dropped 13lb and probably 5% fat. My main
        > >question is this:
        > >It makes me dumb. I mean dull as a dairy cow. I'm a software
        engineer and I'll be sitting there staring at the monitor, looking at
        code I should easily be able to follow, and it may as well be
        heiroglyphics. I can't follow it to save my life. It's the lack of
        food that's doing it because if I eat something my analytical skills
        return. The problem there is that eating something kind of kills the
        notion that I'm trying to cut my fat...
        > >How does one avoid being dumb while on a cutting diet?
        > ></Chad>
        >
        > Personally, I have found that forcing my body to become
        efficient at utilizing fat and protein for energy instead of carbs
        (only 5-10% of
        > caloric intake) has resulted in a very consistent blood sugar
        level. From this my memory improved greatly as did my ability to
        maintain multiple
        > lines of abstract thought eventually converging into a specific
        point. Where as before eating this way, I would easily lose my train
        of thought
        > with even the most trivial distraction. Also, my workout
        performance in terms of strength and stamina improved rather
        significantly.
        > This all took approximately 8 months of being fairly strict
        in terms of carb restriction for this to happen. But once your body
        and brain
        > become enzymatically efficient at using alternate energy forms,
        your mental and physical abilities will reach a higher sustainable
        level.