Re: Historical Novel Society 16th Century measurement

  • Sue Allan
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      So you are a Midlander too, Jane and interested in the English Civil
      War? Snap!
      I am based in Lincolnshire,in my own little 1600's cottage
      not far from the boarders of Nottinghamshire . We too saw a lot of
      action during that period and you might be interested to know that it
      features heavily in my new sequel to Mayflower Maid - Jamestown Woman.
      ( I know it may seem an unlikely title for an English Civil War novel
      but the plot of my New World Trilogy moves between the New World and
      England from 1603 right up intil 1666.)
      I have just been invited to make an appearance this summer at
      a 'Sealed Knot Re-enactment' event in a church where the Royalist
      troops were camped in the churchyard. I cannot wait to see all of
      those people dressed in period costume even though I spend a great
      deal of time delivering history talks dressed in my own!

      As for the subject of measurements, etc, Monica, I found reading the
      Diaries of Samual Pepys absolutely invaluable for all sorts of minute
      details and insights into English 1600's life , many of which most
      lokely equated to other parts of Europe too ).
      If I were writing for an English language audiance, then I would
      probably be inclined to stick with English language equivilants of
      that time, unless I was absolutely certain of local terms in use at
      the time. That way, at least you are keeping true to the time period
      if not the actual location.

      Best Wishes to all members! - Sue Allan

      --- In HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Pearson"
      <jane.pearson@...> wrote:

      > Monica,
      >
      > I'm in Leicester, England. I think that's partly why the Civil
      War period interests me - the battles weaved black and forth across
      the English Midlands, which is where I live mostly, though I spend a
      lot of time in MId Wales too.

      > The 16th century is fascinating. I remember learning a bit about
      Lorenzo de Medici when I studied Italian, but it's so long ago all I
      can remember is what he looked like! (I don't remember the Italian
      language, either, which is a shame.)

      > Best wishes
      >
      > Jane

      Pearson
      > Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 4:48 AM
      > To: HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: Historical Novel Society 16th Century measurement
      >
      > Monica,
      >
      > I didn't realise you were a newcomer too.
      >
      > In answer to your question, I'm planning a series of five books,
      starting
      > with the Civil War and going on to the Glorious Revolution. They
      don't form
      > a serial, but some characters appear in several books.
      >
      > How about you?
      >
      > Best wishes
      >
      > Jane

      John Evelyn
      > writes about a 'lake of about two miles in circumference' near
      Mount
      > Posilipo. On the same page he describes a cave 'not more than
      three or
      > four
      > paces deep and about the height of a man." So perhaps they didn't
      think in
      > inches and feet so much?
      >
      > I'm new to this group, so it's good to be able to make contact.
      I'm
      > writing my third 17th century novel and keeping my fingers
      crossed because
      > an agent is showing some interest in the first one.
      >
      > Best wishes
      >
      > Jane

    • monica spence
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        Thanks Everyone for the help!
        Monica

        <jane.pearson@...> wrote:

        > Monica,
        >
        > I'm in Leicester, England. I think that's partly why the Civil
        War period interests me - the battles weaved black and forth across
        the English Midlands, which is where I live mostly, though I spend a
        lot of time in MId Wales too.

        > The 16th century is fascinating. I remember learning a bit about
        Lorenzo de Medici when I studied Italian, but it's so long ago all I
        can remember is what he looked like! (I don't remember the Italian
        language, either, which is a shame.)

        > Best wishes
        >
        > Jane

      • Jane Pearson
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
          Sue,

          It's great to 'meet' you and it's certainly interesting to hear about your novels - the first of which I see I can get from Amazon.

          I'm newer to all this than you and I've been wondering about joining the Sealed Knot or English Civil War Society, but I'm hovering on the brink, not being totally committed to the idea of joining a regiment and taking part in battles, even as a camp follower. But I would like some involvement, so I may yet have to don some regimental colours and stick a pike head on my broom handle. One problem is that my first book featured a Royalist general and while I was writing it I was a totally committed Royalist. The book I'm writing now is about a Parliamentarian and - yes, you've guessed it - I'm utterly sold on the Parliamentarian cause. I fear I shall end up being hanged as a turncoat by somebody.

          If our paths ever cross it would be good to meet you in person.

          Best wishes

          Jane

          <jane.pearson@...> wrote:

          > Monica,
          >
          > I'm in Leicester, England. I think that's partly why the Civil
          War period interests me - the battles weaved black and forth across
          the English Midlands, which is where I live mostly, though I spend a
          lot of time in MId Wales too.

          > The 16th century is fascinating. I remember learning a bit about
          Lorenzo de Medici when I studied Italian, but it's so long ago all I
          can remember is what he looked like! (I don't remember the Italian
          language, either, which is a shame.)

          > Best wishes
          >
          > Jane

        • Kate Bunting
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 5, 2007
            Jane, you don't have to go on the battlefield if you belong to the
            SK! The Living History Group is a section of the Society who camp in
            canvas tents with period furnishings, do 17th century crafts and
            activities and enjoy talking to the public about them.

            Sue, where is the event you're planning to attend?

            I'm also a Midlander (Derby). I had two Civil War novels published
            by Hales back in the 70s; then other things got in the way and I
            didn't complete another one until the 90s. Hales turned it down and
            no-one else wanted it. Some day I must find the time to revise it
            now that interest in historical fiction has revived...

            Kate Bunting

            <jane.pearson39@...> wrote:

            > Sue,
            >
            > It's great to 'meet' you and it's certainly interesting to hear
            about your novels - the first of which I see I can get from Amazon.

            > I'm newer to all this than you and I've been wondering about
            joining the Sealed Knot or English Civil War Society, but I'm
            hovering on the brink, not being totally committed to the idea of
            joining a regiment and taking part in battles, even as a camp
            follower. But I would like some involvement, so I may yet have to
            don some regimental colours and stick a pike head on my broom
            handle. One problem is that my first book featured a Royalist
            general and while I was writing it I was a totally committed
            Royalist. The book I'm writing now is about a Parliamentarian and -
            yes, you've guessed it - I'm utterly sold on the Parliamentarian
            cause. I fear I shall end up being hanged as a turncoat by
            somebody.

            > If our paths ever cross it would be good to meet you in person.
            >
            > Best wishes
            >
            > Jane

          • Jane Pearson
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 6, 2007
              Kate,

              I'm actually in the midst of finding out about the LHG, with the intention of joining. Someone called Alan Jones is going to get back to me about that.

              It does sound just what I want, so I hope to see you at one of the functions soon.

              Have a happy Easter.

              Jane

              <jane.pearson39@...> wrote:

              > Sue,
              >
              > It's great to 'meet' you and it's certainly interesting to hear
              about your novels - the first of which I see I can get from Amazon.

              > I'm newer to all this than you and I've been wondering about
              joining the Sealed Knot or English Civil War Society, but I'm
              hovering on the brink, not being totally committed to the idea of
              joining a regiment and taking part in battles, even as a camp
              follower. But I would like some involvement, so I may yet have to
              don some regimental colours and stick a pike head on my broom
              handle. One problem is that my first book featured a Royalist
              general and while I was writing it I was a totally committed
              Royalist. The book I'm writing now is about a Parliamentarian and -
              yes, you've guessed it - I'm utterly sold on the Parliamentarian
              cause. I fear I shall end up being hanged as a turncoat by
              somebody.

              > If our paths ever cross it would be good to meet you in person.
              >
              > Best wishes
              >
              > Jane

            • alibsg
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9, 2007
                Oh - I so envy those of you with access to re-enactment societies!
                Not a big call for a Sealed Knot in Australia - although there are
                medieval re-enactors.

                For those ECW fans, starved of fiction of the period (!) I have 2
                ECW novels coming out in July and September this year. Check out my
                website http://www.alisonstuart.com

                My own sympathies are parliamentarian having, reputedly, a regicide
                in the family (family legend I fear!) and Thomas Fairfax is my all
                round hero. However when it comes to writing, somehow the heroes
                always seem to be of a royalist leaning. I am trying to redress that!

                And sequing nicely into measurements, in the hunt for Charles II
                after Worcester, he was described as being two yards high.

                Cheers
                Alison Stuart

                --- In HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Bunting"
                <K.M.Bunting@...> wrote:

                > Jane, you don't have to go on the battlefield if you belong to the
                > SK! The Living History Group is a section of the Society who camp
                in
                > canvas tents with period furnishings, do 17th century crafts and
                > activities and enjoy talking to the public about them.
                >
                > Sue, where is the event you're planning to attend?
                >
                > I'm also a Midlander (Derby). I had two Civil War novels published
                > by Hales back in the 70s; then other things got in the way and I
                > didn't complete another one until the 90s. Hales turned it down
                and
                > no-one else wanted it. Some day I must find the time to revise it
                > now that interest in historical fiction has revived...
                >
                > Kate Bunting

              • Jane Pearson
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 11, 2007
                  Alison,

                  Another Fairfax fan! He's great isn't he? What particularly draws me to him is the story that the night before Naseby he forgot the password to get back into his own camp. A kindred spirit in that respect, I feel, though probably not in any other. How would he fare in this age of pin codes and passwords?

                  I'll look forward to your novels when they come out.

                  Cheers

                  Jane

                  <K.M.Bunting@...> wrote:

                  > Jane, you don't have to go on the battlefield if you belong to the
                  > SK! The Living History Group is a section of the Society who camp
                  in
                  > canvas tents with period furnishings, do 17th century crafts and
                  > activities and enjoy talking to the public about them.
                  >
                  > Sue, where is the event you're planning to attend?
                  >
                  > I'm also a Midlander (Derby). I had two Civil War novels published
                  > by Hales back in the 70s; then other things got in the way and I
                  > didn't complete another one until the 90s. Hales turned it down
                  and
                  > no-one else wanted it. Some day I must find the time to revise it
                  > now that interest in historical fiction has revived...
                  >
                  > Kate Bunting

                • Sue
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 21, 2007
                    Sorry not to reply sooner Kate, but have been away.
                    I am at Edlington Church, Doncaster on Sunday (22nd April) as will be
                    the Regiment of the Lord Molyneux ( the Royalists camped out at the
                    churchyard during the Civil war. If the day is sucessful, then there
                    will be a further event with more re-enactors, as yet to be decided.
                    I am really looking forward to it so much that I will probably be off
                    looking at all the costumes instead of doing what I am meant to -
                    signing copies of my novels!

                    I shall take pictures and post them on my mayflowermaid website so
                    that you, Alison , do not feel left out!

                    Sue

                    <jane.pearson@...> wrote:

                    > Alison,
                    >
                    > Another Fairfax fan! He's great isn't he? What particularly
                    draws me to him is the story that the night before Naseby he forgot
                    the password to get back into his own camp. A kindred spirit in
                    that respect, I feel, though probably not in any other. How would
                    he fare in this age of pin codes and passwords?

                    > I'll look forward to your novels when they come out.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Jane

                  • alibsg
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                      Thanks, Sue! I'm so envious. Are you with the SK or the ECWS?

                      What is the url for your website, so I can find your novels?

                      Cheers
                      Alison
                      http//www.alisonstuart.com

                      --- In HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com, "Sue"