SF crossover audience

  • Catherine Wells
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
      >>>I received an invitation from the biggest science fiction
      convention in the Western United States to read from and sign copies
      of "The
      Legacy" and talk about 14th century Italian warfare and politics at
      their next
      meeting. <<<

      Ellen, which con is that? WesterCon?

      >>>It's my understanding that they are branching out into historical
      fiction.<<<

      There has always been a great interest in medieval history at these
      cons, particularly from the Fantasy crowd. (SF has been deemed to
      mean "speculative fiction," encompassing fantasy, alternative history,
      etc.) The SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) is always well
      represented, and Regency Dancing has become very popular. Costuming
      workshops nearly always focus on medieval garb.

      --Catherine Dimenstein, aka Catherine Wells
      (who is trying to get out of SF and into historical fiction)
    • Ellen Ekstrom
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
        I believe it's Westcon and it's happening in the San Jose area.

        I used to hang with SCA people and did their costumes.

        Right now I'm hoping "Renaissance" magazine will review my book. Dream on . . .

        The people I know that read scifi also read a lot of medieval fiction and history.

        Regards,

        Ellen Ekstrom
        www.ellenekstrom.net

        Catherine Wells <catherine-wells@...> wrote:
        >>>I received an invitation from the biggest science fiction
        convention in the Western United States to read from and sign copies
        of "The
        Legacy" and talk about 14th century Italian warfare and politics at
        their next
        meeting. <<<

        Ellen, which con is that? WesterCon?

        >>>It's my understanding that they are branching out into historical
        fiction.<<<

        There has always been a great interest in medieval history at these
        cons, particularly from the Fantasy crowd. (SF has been deemed to
        mean "speculative fiction," encompassing fantasy, alternative history,
        etc.) The SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) is always well
        represented, and Regency Dancing has become very popular. Costuming
        workshops nearly always focus on medieval garb.

        --Catherine Dimenstein, aka Catherine Wells
        (who is trying to get out of SF and into historical fiction)

        If you're not already a member, why not JOIN the HNS? Email Richard for details (richard@...) or join by credit card online via our website at www.historicalnovelsociety.org

        Also, you might want to receive the HNS Newsletter (an edited magazine-style publication featuring news and reviews from the UK and US; it comes every two weeks, and it's free). Send a blank email to HNSNewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Kathleen Guler
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
          >>>I received an invitation from the biggest science fiction
          convention in the Western United States to read from and sign copies
          of "The
          Legacy" and talk about 14th century Italian warfare and politics at
          their next
          meeting. <<<

          I had a similar experience last year when I was on a panel at Castle Rock,
          Colorado's library. It was part of their annual "Fantasy Fest." They invited
          three Colorado fantasy writers and the theme was the Arthurian legend. Only
          one author was truly a fantasy writer. Connie Willis was one of the
          others--science fiction for sure, although her "Doomsday Book" crosses into
          historical as was mentioned before. She doesn't consider herself a fantasy
          writer at all. And me--historical fiction and the only Arthurian writer. The
          "medievalness" makes the cross over. The three of us ended up talking more
          about the writing process than fantasy... ;-)

          Cheers,
          Kathleen

          Kathleen Cunningham Guler
          The Macsen's Treasure series:
          Book 1: Into the Path of Gods
          Book 2: In the Shadow of Dragons, 2002 CIPA Award for fiction
          Book 3: The Anvil Stone, coming March 2006
          http://www.bardsongpress.com

          "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have
          imagined." --Henry David Thoreau