JORVIK VIKING FESTIVAL

  • SGN
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2001
      Apologies to the overseas members who are unlikely to be in the UK for this
      (unless they are taking a chilly holiday in this country!). Notice of this
      event appeared in the recent 'Solander', but now the authors' venue, dates
      and times have been confirmed:

      JORVIK VIKING FESTIVAL

      York, February 17th - 25th 2001

      Under the auspices of the Festival, the Historical Novel Society
      and Borders Bookshop two historical novelists will be giving
      talks about their books:

      WRITING AND RE-ENACTMENT
      Elizabeth Chadwick uses various methods of
      research to write her books (including 'The Conquest' and
      'The Champion') set in the aftermath of the Norman Conquest.
      Elizabeth will be speaking on the 21st February, 6.30pm at
      Borders Bookshop on Davygate. Her novel 'Marsh King's
      Daughter' comes out in paperback the week before.

      LET'S HEAR IT FOR HAROLD
      Helen Hollick's new book 'Harold the King' follows the fortunes
      of the last English king. She will be speaking on the 24th
      February, 6.30pm at Borders Bookshop on Davygate. Her
      Arthurian trilogy is also currently available in new editions.

      On Saturday 17th, to start off the Festival, the whole city centre will be
      taken over by various re-enactment events including combat, longship
      regatta, and living history, culminating in a battle at the Eye of York by
      Regia Anglorum (see http://www.regia.org/see%20us%20next.htm
      for further details). In addition, throughout the week, there will be
      various events including the showing of historical films, lectures, and
      the 'Skullsplitter' exhibition (with the famed Coppergate Helmet).
      For details, contact:
      Jorvik Viking Centre, Coppergate, York, YO1 9WT, England
      Tel: +44 (0) 1904 643211. Fax: +44 (0) 1904 627097.
      Web: http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/festival.html
      E-Mail: jorvik@... or Historical Novel Society
      member Sandra Garside-Neville
      sgn@...

      Sandra
      Reviewer for:
      http://www.historicalnovelsociety.com/
    • Susan Hicks
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2001
        Hi all,

        Sandra's post about the Jorvik Viking Festival has prompted me to write in
        about a wonderful book I've just obtained. Viking Weapons & Warfare is by
        J.Kim Siddorn, founder and National Organiser of Regia Anglorum who will be
        playing a major role in the Jorvik Festival. It's just been published by
        Tempus books ISBN 0 7524 1419 4. As well as being a tremendously useful
        writers' resource, it is very readable with a vivid, almost fictional
        quality to the prose. It is also very well researched and is going straight
        onto my keeper shelf. Here's a lovely paragraph from the introduction where
        the author is talking about his experience of re-enactment. Somehow, this
        is how I feel about writing historical fiction - it's what I want to get
        over in my novels:
        'The living moment that joins us to the lives of our ancestors so long
        dead - that rare, unforgettable moment when the gunwale of the ship dips
        into the sea and 50 gallons of Baltic rushes aboard; when the shield wall
        collapses and shouting men run you down: when you roll out of bed to pull
        your soggy turnshoes on for the fifth day in succession - and it comes to
        you; 'it must have been just like this!'

        Best
        Susan :-)
        (looking forward to doing her talk, but confessing not to possess a
        hangarock or tortoise brooches, even if she does have a pair of well worn
        replica Jorvik Anglo-Dane boots!)