Somebody likes POD

  • Alan Fisk
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Today my POD publisher (non-charging, non-vanity, before you ask) sent me a contract from an Italian literary agency that wants to try to sell the book to an Italian publisher.

      There has been some serious misinformation put about concerning POD publishing, as against "volume publishing" (the traditional way).

      Like "Merry Christmas", it's been said before, many times, many ways, but here are the basics again.

      1. The only difference between POD and volume publishing is the time at which the book is printed. POD publishers are just like volume publishers: some are legitimate, some are crooked, some are efficient, some are useless, some charge authors and some (the proper ones) don't. These are of course the oes who are selective in what they take.

      2. You should never pay any publisher, POD or volume, to publish your book. If you are willing to pay, go the self-publishing route, but not before you've read some books on the subject and know exactly what you're getting into, what you should pay, and what you can expect.

      For those of you are still sniffy about POD, I don't mind, because it means that I have fewer competitors in the book market.

      Alan