HNS Conference

  • Sarah Cuthbertson
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2004
      Dear All

      Greatly enjoyed the conference on Saturday. Thank you, Richard and
      all who helped you organize and run it (sorry I didn't get chance to
      say this to you as had to rush off at the end). It all went very
      smoothly from the dellegates' side of things. It was good to talk to
      old HNS friends and to meet new ones for the first time.

      I especially enjoyed Laura Wilson's talk on how she came to research
      and write her new novel based on the "Blackout Ripper", but all the
      talks were illuminating in their own way.

      Many thanks to all concerned!

      Sarah C
    • Melham2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
        Hi

        First - thanks to Richard and Sarah for organising such a super conference
        and Friday evening - it was lovely to get together beforehand and go into the
        conference knowing I would see at least a dozen friendly and familiar faces!

        I am sure that others have made copious notes, but for what it's worth this
        is my take on the conference - fellow attendees feel free to correct me!
        Apologies if I am treading on anyone's toes here but if I don't do it now, my
        memory will fade. If you prefer to wait for the official reports, please don't
        read any further!

        First Conference Lecture - Tom Harper - did a super presentation on the
        first crusade - the subject for his books (and yes it was like a lecture but I
        thoroughly enjoyed it because I only know a little about the period and his talk
        was clear and informative). He explained that he had always wanted to
        write books, but his first objective was to write a crime novel set in Byzantium,
        but after the first book, he realised it was more about one character's
        experience during the Crusade.

        Hilary Johnson admitted that she had not been successful at history during
        her school days, but had discovered history through literature. Having been a
        publisher's reader for many years she now runs her own advisory service as a
        "book doctor". On trends, she thought that most editors/agents would agree
        that they would know the next "big thing" when they saw it - i.e. no one
        ismaking any predictions. Basically, if a writer submits an excellent novel then
        it has a chance of being published - Hilary is very cautious about the
        publishing business, because there are so many pressures on publishers that even a
        really superb book cannot be guaranteed to make it. When asked about
        writing a synopsis, Hilary's advice was that it should not be more than 2 pages of
        single-spaced A4, pared of all superfluous words and minor characters and
        should read like a short story - an editor/agent has very little time to spare
        and needs the relevant information fast. Having said that, the synopsis
        should also try to give the flavour of the book - the author's voice.

        Tom Harper turned up on the Nelson Discussion Panel as Edward Thomas. who
        has written one (or perhaps more) Flashman-style books about a sailor in
        Nelson's navy. He was on the panel with Julian Stockwyn and Miranda Hearn. The
        discussion took a bit of time to get going, but soon became interesting - the
        main point that I picked up was that writers of historicals need to be like
        tourist guides - you know what's in the back-streets but no need to tell
        everything! It transpires that there may well have been lots of women and
        children on board the ships of Nelson's navy, but writers won't necessarily mention
        them unless they are integral to the plot.

        I only caught the end of Jennifer Cloester's talk on Georgette Heyer but the
        lady certainly seemed to know her subject. She has written a biography on
        Heyer but it waiting clearance from the family to publish certain letters etc.

        Anne Harries told us that her book "No Place for a Lady" was based on the
        story her grandmother used to tell her about meeting her husband during the Boer
        War (a story that proed out to be untrue, but obviously had an impact on the
        young Harries). She expalined about the camps that the Afrikaans womena nd
        children were forced into after their farmland had been destroyed by the
        British - the first concentration camps - and the women who campaigned to help
        them. As a writer, I was interested to learn that she intervleaved her story
        with quotations and telegrams from the time, to give a time-frame to the tale.

        Elizabeth Chadwick came to the rescue at the last minute when Martin Stephen
        could not make it - and did a very good job at such short notice. She is v
        thorough in her research. Starts each new project with a one line blurb,
        then a selling blurb, then a character study (remember she uses real people)
        then a detailed synopsis, which can change as the book is written. She stressed
        that all the above things sell the book to the agent/editor, as well as tell
        them the story. She starts each book with a life-changing incident for one
        of the characters.

        All in all a very good conference with lots of time for chatting and
        networking. There were several authors present as well as aspiring writers and
        history lovers. The only problem with the venue was the air-con which was either
        on and too cold, or off and too stuffy. That aside, 10 out of 10 to everyone
        involved in the organisation of the conference.

        Hope I've got most of that correct - my notes are so brief I am sure the
        final official reports will be much more comprehensive.

        Cheers

        Linda H
        Writing as Melinda Hammond
        _http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/melham_ (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/melham)

        Dance for a Diamond - pub. Robert Hale Oct 2005

      • Melinda Hammond
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2008
          Sandra's email re the meal reminded me to write today.? We have a fantastic programme of events for the conference and we will hope to post the programme on the HNS website soon, but please don't wait for that before booking your place at the conference.

          Looking forward to meeting lots of old friends and meeting new ones!

          Linda H
          www.melindahammond.com & www.sarahmallory.com
          Melinda Hammond - A Rational Romance - pub. November 2007 by Robert Hale
          Sarah Mallory - More Than A Governess - pub April 2008 by Harlequin Historical

        • vs_renard
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 17, 2008
            Hello,

            I've been a lurker here for some time. I'm a historical fiction
            novelist, and recently sold my novel WATERMARK (about the spread of
            paper in the Middle Ages) to Avon Books. I've been looking at the HNS
            conference next year and wondering if anyone can give me an idea of
            what the conference is like, what sorts of talk are given, and any
            other general impressions.

            Thank you very much!

            Vanitha Sankaran

            Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
            Forthcoming from Avon Books
            www.vanithasankaran.com
          • Susanne Dunlap
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 17, 2008
              Hi Vanitha,

              I loved the first conference I went to. I met so many wonderful,
              interesting people, and everything was worth it for that. The talks
              were also excellent, and I truly think there was something for
              everyone. I'm not just saying that because I'm on the board this year!
              Honestly. Networking is important.

              Susanne

              Susanne Dunlap
              Author of Liszt's Kiss and Emilie's Voice
              And the forthcoming The Musician's Daughter
              (Bloomsbury Children's, January, 2009)
              www.susannedunlap.com

              On Nov 17, 2008, at 6:02 PM, vs_renard wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I've been a lurker here for some time. I'm a historical fiction
              > novelist, and recently sold my novel WATERMARK (about the spread of
              > paper in the Middle Ages) to Avon Books. I've been looking at the HNS
              > conference next year and wondering if anyone can give me an idea of
              > what the conference is like, what sorts of talk are given, and any
              > other general impressions.
              >
              > Thank you very much!
              >
              > Vanitha Sankaran
              >
              > Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
              > Forthcoming from Avon Books
              > www.vanithasankaran.com

            • J Dixon
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 18, 2008
                It depends on whether you enjoy conferences or not, Vanitha - if you do the
                HNS one is one of the better ones, in my opinion. Informative, friendly, and
                not so large you lose yourself!

                jay
                > I've been a lurker here for some time. I'm a historical fiction
                > novelist, and recently sold my novel WATERMARK (about the spread of
                > paper in the Middle Ages) to Avon Books. I've been looking at the HNS
                > conference next year and wondering if anyone can give me an idea of
                > what the conference is like, what sorts of talk are given, and any
                > other general impressions.
                >
                > Thank you very much!
                >
                > Vanitha Sankaran
                >
                > Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
                > Forthcoming from Avon Books
                > www.vanithasankaran.com
                >

                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > If you're not already a member, why not JOIN the HNS? Email Richard for
                > details (richard@...) or join by credit card online
                > via our website at www.historicalnovelsociety.org
                >
                > Also, you might want to receive the HNS Newsletter (an edited
                > magazine-style publication featuring news and reviews from the UK and US;
                > it comes every two weeks, and it's free). Send a blank email to
                > HNSNewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --
                > 22/05/2008 16:44

              • Patricia Wynn
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 19, 2008
                  What I liked about the HNS conference was that the panel moderators and
                  interviewers really did their homework and asked much more interesting
                  questions than we usually get.

                  Patricia Wynn
                  Award-winning Blue Satan Mystery Series
                  The Motive from the Deed
                  Paperback reprint: Oct 2008
                • Jeri Westerson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 19, 2008
                    I'm, looking forward to it. I'll be on a panel of newbies at the
                    conference. Can't wait!

                    Jeri Westerson

                    --
                    "VEIL OF LIES; A Medieval Noir", St. Martin's--in Bookstores!
                    Editor's Choice Historical Novel Society Review

                  • Anne Gilbert
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 19, 2008
                      Jeri:

                      Ooooooh! That's absolutely delightful! Lucky you!
                      Anne G

                      --
                      "VEIL OF LIES; A Medieval Noir", St. Martin's--in Bookstores!
                      Editor's Choice Historical Novel Society Review
                      www.JeriWesterson.com

                    • Sandy Frykholm
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 19, 2008
                        Vanitha,

                        I attended the 2007 conference in Albany, and thought it was great. Most writing conferences are far to general for my very focused interest on historicals, but at HNS, I not only recognized the names of many presenters, but I had read the books of 4-5 of them within the previous year. It was a great conference for networking, too. I met some people who referred me to previously unknown resources, others who have critiqued my ms. and I have also joined an online critique group that includes some of the HNS contacts I made. I'm very much hoping to attend the next one. The speakers and sessions were well-organized and the "free time" was valuable for meeting other writers. For my purposes, time and money well spent.

                        Sandy

                        I've been a lurker here for some time. I'm a historical fiction
                        novelist, and recently sold my novel WATERMARK (about the spread of
                        paper in the Middle Ages) to Avon Books. I've been looking at the HNS
                        conference next year and wondering if anyone can give me an idea of
                        what the conference is like, what sorts of talk are given, and any
                        other general impressions.

                        Thank you very much!

                        Vanitha Sankaran

                        Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
                        Forthcoming from Avon Books
                        www.vanithasankaran.com

                      • Donald Michael Platt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 20, 2008
                          And I shall be on the Small Press panel at my first HNS appearance as
                          well.

                          Looking forward to meeting all.

                          --- In HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Gilbert"
                          <avgilbert@...> wrote:

                          > Jeri:
                          >
                          > Ooooooh! That's absolutely delightful! Lucky you!
                          > Anne G
                          >

                          > I'm, looking forward to it. I'll be on a panel of newbies at the
                          > conference. Can't wait!
                          >
                          > Jeri Westerson
                          >
                          > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Patricia Wynn <pat@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > What I liked about the HNS conference was that the panel
                          moderators and
                          > > interviewers really did their homework and asked much more
                          interesting
                          > > questions than we usually get.
                          > >
                          > > Patricia Wynn
                          > > Award-winning Blue Satan Mystery Series
                          > > The Motive from the Deed
                          > > Paperback reprint: Oct 2008
                          > >

                          > --
                          > "VEIL OF LIES; A Medieval Noir", St. Martin's--in Bookstores!
                          > Editor's Choice Historical Novel Society Review
                          > www.JeriWesterson.com

                        • Patricia Wynn
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 21, 2008
                            I hate to miss the conference this year, but I'm meeting my family in Italy
                            right then. Especially hate to miss visiting Chicago, which I love.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 21, 2008
                              Patricia,
                              If it was Italy vs. Chicago for me, I'd miss the conference too! :)

                              Sandy