Re: Historical Novel Society Norah Lofts

  • Lynne Connolly
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
      On 06:30 01/09/2004 Meredith Whitford said
      >I couldn't say I'm "an expert" but I have read all, I think, of hers and
      >admire her books enormously. Her books are always extremely readable, and
      >have an admirable lack of sentimentality.
      >I like the thrillers she wrote as Peter ??? -- surname escapes me; will
      >forget my own name next.

      No, I didn't read those. She kept me busy with her historicals!

      >I know very little about her personally, and would like to know more, if
      >anyone here can enlighten me. I know she died not all that long ago, I
      >remember seeing it in the papers.

      I think she was a very private person. She lived in East Anglia, and
      survived to a ripe old age. There's very little about her anywhere. I would
      think the best places to look might be old newspapers, until one can
      discover her alma mater, where hopefully someone will be able to help.

      >I don't even know if her books are still in print -- I tend to pick them
      >up second hand and don't think I've ever seen them in regular bookstores,
      >except for her last one, "A Wayside Tavern".

      I don't think there are, and it's a great shame. I loved Philip Lindsay's
      books as well, but know even less about him.

      Lynne Connolly, GSOLFOT, Author of the Richard and Rose books.
      Extracts from my books, free short stories and links to the order pages are
      on my website:
      More extracts, plus free short stories to accompany the books here: