Buddica and Byron

  • srilekha rach
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      I opted to watch the two part series about Mad, Bad, Dangerous Lord Byron
      instead of Buddica.

      Did anyone else make the same choice and, if so, what how did it 'come
      across'?

      All the best,

      Rosemary Rach

    • Alan Fisk
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- srilekha rach <srilekharach@...> wrote: >
        I opted to watch the two part series about Mad, Bad,
        > Dangerous Lord Byron
        > instead of Buddica.
        >
        > Did anyone else make the same choice and, if so,
        > what how did it 'come
        > across'?
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > Rosemary Rach

        I watched the first half of Byron (which was on
        Saturday night), but opted for Boudica on Sunday
        night.

        Byron was probably more accurate (but were there
        already gas street lamps in London in 1811?), but I
        thought that Johnny Lee Miller didn't have the
        presence to play Byron. I also suspect that you would
        probably have to know the outlines of Byron's life to
        be able to follow the story, at least the first part.
        (One good point was that the actress who played Lady
        Caroline Lamb did a much better job than the actress
        who played her in the film "Lady Caroline Lamb".)

        As for Boudica, Alex Kingston did her best, and she
        can't be blamed for the script or the production
        design.

        Alan
        > On the move? Get Hotmail on your mobile phone
        > http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile

      • Pamela Cleaver
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
          --- In HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Fisk <
          alanfisk@y...> wrote:

          > I watched the first half of Byron (which was on
          > Saturday night), but opted for Boudica on Sunday
          > night.
          >
          > Byron was probably more accurate (but were there
          > already gas street lamps in London in 1811?), but I
          > thought that Johnny Lee Miller didn't have the
          > presence to play Byron. I also suspect that you would
          > probably have to know the outlines of Byron's life to
          > be able to follow the story, at least the first part.

          I agree with you, Alan - he didn't show me the Byron I knew from the
          writing and the gossip. I really enjoyed the programme afterwards that
          show-cased Byron's writing, and as my husband remarked, the girl who
          presented it was stunning.

          Pam
        • Geoff Boxell
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
            > Byron was probably more accurate (but were there
            > already gas street lamps in London in 1811?), but I
            I seem to recall an overseas dignitory thinking that they had been installed just to impress him. I think it was early 1800s, but must check. I know it was part of the Embankment.
            Geoff

            Geoff Boxell
            wendlewulf@...
            http://www.wendlewulf.co.nz