Re: Nomenclature.

  • Susanne Alleyn
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2013
      In all the 1920s and 1930s fiction I've read, it's always called, in conversation, either "the Great War" or--more often--simply "the War." Everybody would have known exactly which war you were talking about, since all other wars within living memory would have seemed trivial in comparison. Newspapers and so on may have used "the World War" but it doesn't seemed to have been used much in casual dialogue.

      Susanne

      **************************************
      Susanne Alleyn * http://www.susannealleyn.com
      The Executioner's Heir: A Novel of Eighteenth-Century France
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXPZQBG/
      September 2013  * eBook & paperback * eBook 99 cents for a limited time

      Don't drop your MEDIEVAL UNDERPANTS . . . eBook currently 99 cents
      http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Underpants-Other-Blunders-ebook/dp/B00958628C/

      1a. Nomenclature.
          Posted by: "Pat Brown" pat.mysterywriter@... pabrown51
          Date: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm ((PDT))

      What would first world war have been called in the 20s? The Great War?
      Or did they have another term?