Re: Historical Novel Society Nomenclature.

  • Pat Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2013
      Thanks all. The Great War it is.

      Pat Brown

      http://pabrown.com/
      “Write the book the way it should be written, then give it to somebody to put in the commas and shit.”  Elmore Leonard 1925-2013

      On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Benjamin Barrett <benjaminbarrett85@...> wrote:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I: "From the time of its occurrence until the approach of World War II in 1939, it was called simply the World War or the Great War, and thereafter the First World War or World War I."

      Ben Barrett
      Seattle, WA

      On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:09 PM, Laura Mitchell <lemobrn@...> wrote:

      I think they called it The Great War.

      Laura Mitchell, RN
      w/a Ellen Campbell

      On Sep 26, 2013 5:57 PM, "Pat Brown" <pat.mysterywriter@...> wrote:

      What would first world war have been called in the 20s? The Great War?
      Or did they have another term?

      Pat Brown

    • Susanne Alleyn
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2013
        In all the 1920s and 1930s fiction I've read, it's always called, in conversation, either "the Great War" or--more often--simply "the War." Everybody would have known exactly which war you were talking about, since all other wars within living memory would have seemed trivial in comparison. Newspapers and so on may have used "the World War" but it doesn't seemed to have been used much in casual dialogue.

        Susanne

        Susanne Alleyn * http://www.susannealleyn.com
        The Executioner's Heir: A Novel of Eighteenth-Century France
        http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXPZQBG/
        September 2013  * eBook & paperback * eBook 99 cents for a limited time

        Don't drop your MEDIEVAL UNDERPANTS . . . eBook currently 99 cents
        http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Underpants-Other-Blunders-ebook/dp/B00958628C/

        1a. Nomenclature.
            Posted by: "Pat Brown" pat.mysterywriter@... pabrown51
            Date: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm ((PDT))