Re: Co-op blog/website for HF writers

  • joyceelsonmoore
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
      Don: Re Clio's Children, I initially was signed on when they started but later saw the focus was not what I thought, and I admit the name also sorta turned me off. I agree with your assessment 100%. For myself, I definitely prefer working with blogger. I've tried with Wordpress and find it's not as user friendly for most folks, as far as inserting images etc., but that choice of course is up to you since you're initiating the blog. Also I'm on Goodreads and FB but spend a very limited amt of time there so I may not be a candidate if that's expected. Yes on your mention of links to amazon and other retailers. Just my 2 cents and waiting to hear everyone else's input and your advice.
      Joyce

    • Karen Clark
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
        The reason I moved from Blogger to Wordpress was because I found inserting
        images easier. Used to tear my hair out with Blogger. I love how we all look
        at things differently!

        Karen

        From: joyceelsonmoore <joyceem1@...>
        Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:13:22 -0000
        To: <HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Historical Novel Society Re: Co-op blog/website for HF writers

        Don: Re Clio's Children, I initially was signed on when they started but
        later saw the focus was not what I thought, and I admit the name also sorta
        turned me off. I agree with your assessment 100%. For myself, I definitely
        prefer working with blogger. I've tried with Wordpress and find it's not as
        user friendly for most folks, as far as inserting images etc., but that
        choice of course is up to you since you're initiating the blog. Also I'm on
        Goodreads and FB but spend a very limited amt of time there so I may not be
        a candidate if that's expected. Yes on your mention of links to amazon and
        other retailers. Just my 2 cents and waiting to hear everyone else's input
        and your advice.
        Joyce

        --- In HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:HistoricalNovelSociety%40yahoogroups.com> , Yvonne LaRose

      • Charlie Farrow
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2012
          On a technical point - the free Wordpress doesn't play nicely (well not at
          all) with the Amazon associates widgets - you'll have to manually insert
          image and link if you need to promote your book in a WP post - they (WP
          folk) made a conscious decision not to be used to host spam sites. This
          also applies to an extent with selfhosted sites using WP as a content
          management system. It can be done but it's not automated.

          Blogger however has an internal interface that allows you monetize easily
          with the Amazon widgets.

          Charlie Farrow
          | CFA Marketing <http://www.cfamarketing.co.uk/> |
          | Web Master & Online Promotion for
          HNSLondon12<http://www.hns-conference.org.uk/>

          *THE Global Event of the Year for Readers & Writers of Historical Fiction*

          On 1 August 2012 15:46, Karen Clark <Ragged_staff@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > The reason I moved from Blogger to Wordpress was because I found inserting
          > images easier. Used to tear my hair out with Blogger. I love how we all
          > look
          > at things differently!
          >
          > Karen
          >
          > From: joyceelsonmoore <joyceem1@...>
          > Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:13:22 -0000
          > To: <HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Historical Novel Society Re: Co-op blog/website for HF writers
          >

          > Don: Re Clio's Children, I initially was signed on when they started but
          > later saw the focus was not what I thought, and I admit the name also sorta
          > turned me off. I agree with your assessment 100%. For myself, I definitely
          > prefer working with blogger. I've tried with Wordpress and find it's not as
          > user friendly for most folks, as far as inserting images etc., but that
          > choice of course is up to you since you're initiating the blog. Also I'm on
          > Goodreads and FB but spend a very limited amt of time there so I may not be
          > a candidate if that's expected. Yes on your mention of links to amazon and
          > other retailers. Just my 2 cents and waiting to hear everyone else's input
          > and your advice.
          > Joyce
          >
          > --- In HistoricalNovelSociety@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:HistoricalNovelSociety%40yahoogroups.com> , Yvonne LaRose

        • Yvonne LaRose
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2012
            Oh, Charlie! Please tell me what should be done on Blogger. I attempted to put an image and link to my CollegeRecruiter.com anthology and all that shows up is a text link that doesn't seem to be an affiliate link. (I attempted to do the same with the Kindle Fire and had the same result.)

            I tried to do the same two promotions on WordPress but ran out of time - or else had so many distractions that I forgot to finish that effort - and I don't know what the result looks like.

            Viva
            Yvonne LaRose
            In a Word-CCJP [Content Critiques Journalism Proofreading]

            LinkedIn Profile : Ziggs Profile

            Direct Dial: 310-402-4893
            The Consultant's Desk : The Desk : The Pundit
            Looking at the Issues : Health in the 21st Century
            Associated Content