Awards Time

  • Joy Calderwood
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
      It's awards time again. I haven't read as many historicals this year as usual, but I do have one that I think is award-worthy. So ... drum roll ...

      My Best Historical Novel Read in 2002 doesn't really need my award; it already won some good ones of its own:

      Rosemary Stevens' DEATH ON A SILVER TRAY. Delicious cozy set in Regency England, with Beau Brummell as the detective. Charming hero, delectable comments on his friends, an uppity cat, laugh out loud funny.

      So what's yours?

      Joy
      Starting Lilian Jackson Braun's THE CAT WHO WENT UP THE CREEK

    • Juliann
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
        I'm going to have to go with _The King's Touch_ by Jude Morgan, the
        story about the life of James, Duke of Monmouth, illegitimate child of
        Charles II and fomentor of the Monmouth Rebellion.

        If anyone missed my review of it a few weeks back, it's available at
        http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?journal=restoration&itemid=4864

        Juliann
        (who read a lot more non fiction than fiction in 2002, but is catching
        up!)
      • Diane Parkinson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
          Elizabeth Redfern's "Music of the Spheres".

          Diane
        • Joy Calderwood
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
            Did we talk about MUSIC OF THE SPHERES when you read it, Diane? I know I read it a little over a year ago, and pretty much all I remember is a sense of unreality. I do remember I was impressed with the characterization, and details are starting to come back to me. I'd like to hear what impressed you about it.

            Enjoyed your review, Juliann.

            Ho hum, back to a normal work week.
            Joy

            Elizabeth Redfern's "Music of the Spheres".

            Diane

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            If you're not already a member, why not JOIN the HNS? Email Richard for details (histnovel@...) or join by credit card online via our website at www.historicalnovelsociety.org

            Also, you might want to receive the HNS Newsletter (an edited magazine-style publication featuring news and reviews from the UK and US; it comes every two weeks, and it's free). Send a blank email to HNSNewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • Joy Calderwood
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
              Juliann, do you want to make a Historical Non-Fiction Award? Mine would have to be A BEAUTIFUL MIND because of Nasar's character analysis, written with notable intelligence and empathy.

              Joy

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
                Joy, no we didn't talk about it. What I liked was the depiction of London
                in the 1790's,as my novel takes place there around the same time. The
                streets, neighborhoods, taverns, etc., were all very interesting to compare.
                The astronomy was also interesting. Most people were right about the ending
                being too melodramatic.

                Diane