Re: Historical Novel Society -Drop in Reading?

  • UkHrh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
      > I think the biggest problem
      > >with small royalty checks and the state of publishing in general is that
      > >not enough people read!
      >
      > >Kelly>>

      Kelly,
      I think I've missed a post or two...normal for me. From all the time I spend
      on the net and the overflowing TBR's most people seem to have and even people
      I've been talking to lately, I'm not sure if that's the case.

      The number of readers out there IMO have to be staggering - I would attribute
      the drop in royalties (from some info that's recently been brought to my
      attention) is the swing in readers buying used books Vs. new.

      I'll admit to the overwhelming TBR (love it that way - thank you very much <g>
      ) and I will buy new especially favorite authors, new discoveries I'd rather
      buy used though I've recently discovered the best place to buy used that
      satisfies royalty demands is Powells.

      What I find very discouraging about Amazon at the moment is how quickly you
      can buy a used copy of a recently published book.

      So, I don't think its the lack of readers I think its the booksellers (the
      major players) doing their utmost to squeeze THEIR profits at the expensive
      of the authors and publishers.

      Very Best,
      Wendie(y)
    • Diane Parkinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
        Has anyone in the U.S. received their next installment of The Reviews or
        Solander magazine yet? I have recently joined HNS and heard these were due
        in May, but haven't gotten anything yet.

        Diane
      • Sarah L. Nesbeitt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
          Hi Diane and everyone,

          The HNS magazines are a bit delayed this quarter because the UK team had to
          find a new printer at the last minute. They will be on their way to
          subscribers very shortly. If you've recently joined (and glad to hear that
          you did!) then you should be on our list.

          Thanks!

          Sarah N.
        • Anne Poe Lehr
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
            Diane,

            Mine have not arrived either.

            Peace, Anne

            Anne Poe Lehr
            Poe's Cousin www.poescousin.com
            9 Windward Avenue Phone: (914) 948-0735
            White Plains, NY, 10605 Fax: (914) 946-4219

            MWA, ABA, IMBA, IOBA, ABFFE, SinC, TomFolio
            MC, VISA & AMEX
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
              > Hello,
              I've been a member for almost a year now and have received only one issue a
              while back. I'm not sure how many times it comes out. I have not received
              May yet.[I'm in California]
              Connie Williams
              cowilli@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
                Hi,

                I posted yesterday that the May issue of both journals would be a bit late,
                as we had to find a new printer at the last minute. They should be on their
                way soon.

                Here is the publication schedule for both journals. Membership is by
                calendar year.

                Historical Novels Review (book reviews, editorials, occasional interviews):
                February, May, August, December
                Solander (articles, interviews, essays, short fiction): May and December

                For North American members, the journals are typically received toward the
                end of the month when they're published. If you have a surface mail
                subscription, add another 4-6 weeks onto this. Connie - when did you join?
                And did you join for 2002 or 2001 as well? If you signed up for 2002, then
                it's correct that you'll only have received one journal (Feb 2002 of the
                Review) so far. If this isn't right, feel free to e-mail me directly rather
                than to the list.

                Sarah N.
                (US Coordinating Editor - Historical Novels Review)