Re: Historical Novel Society Author hits back at bad review and ...

  • Roger Bennett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
      From a publisher standpoint (and we suffer as much as the author from the consequences of an unfavourable review), I broadly agree with Alan's stance. There are occasions when I grit my teeth - e.g. when reviewers criticise layout anomalies and proofreading errors in pre-release copies which they have been informed are still "subject to proof-reading and correction". Criticism of the substance/style of a work (even an anachronism which may have been corrected between pre-release and final versions) is, however, very much in the realm of fair comment. An author or publisher who cannot accept that needs to be reminded of the old adage "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".

      Of course, that doesn't mean we have to like or accept as correct what the reviewer may have said!

      Roger Bennett
      Quaestor2000

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
        If Hoffman's just repeating herself, the reviewer would be better off giving that coveted review attention to a less famous author who has written something truly fresh and wonderful. Less prima donna posturing and a positive experience for everyone.

        Mary