RE: Historical Novel Society Re:Music discussion

  • Susanne Dunlap
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2007
      Excellent point, Monica. But I do think that there's a difference between
      someone who gets one fact wrong, and someone who clearly didn't bother to
      check the basic facts. No one would ever accuse you of that, I'm sure!

      Susanne Dunlap

      Author of Emilie's Voice and Liszt's Kiss

      Touchstone Books

      www.dunlaphistoricalfiction.com

      _____

      Sometimes it is impossible for authors to check certain facts-- especially
      if the author is writing about a time that is poorly documented or where
      information is not translated.
      I have done years of research on the Italian Renaissance and I am SURE there
      is someone out there who would say "she did not do her research". It is easy
      to criticize, it is
      much harder to be perfect in all things.

      Monica

    • Broos Campbell
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2007
        Good lord, Wensleydale from Somerset? Next we'll be
        having Cheddar from Yorkshire!

        Actually, all I know about Wensleydale is that Wallace
        and Gromit were fond of it, and it was the name of the
        proprietor of the cheese shop in the Monty Python
        sketch.

        --Broos
        http://www.brooscampbell.com

        > Re: Music discussion
        > Posted by: "Sidney Allinson" allsid@... dliad
        > Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:21 pm (PST)

        > I'm still choking over Wensleydale cheese from
        Somerset . . .
      • Teresa Basinski Eckford
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
          On Saturday, December 1, 2007, 7:23:57 PM, you wrote:

          > Actually, all I know about Wensleydale is that Wallace
          > and Gromit were fond of it

          And with good reason! It's a lovely cheese :)

          Teresa
          mailto:teresa.eckford@...
          http://ladytess.blogspot.com
        • P.D.R. Lindsay-Salmon
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
            Yes, it does depend on the facts too. If the error is of importance to
            the book then it is a bad error. In a novel about English Victorian
            cooking and food ostensibly told by a cook, having the cook say that a
            Wensleydale cheese comes from Somerset is a basic fact that should have
            been picked up!
            Patrika
          • Sidney Allinson
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
              >>Yes, it does depend on the facts too. If the error is >>of importance to the book then it is a bad error.

              True. Goofs such as the cookbook author who got the cheese wrong are always the result of poor research. Or simple lazyness. For instance, Ian Fleming knew absolutely nothing about firearms or gourmet food himself, but he always took care to ask people who were experts to steer him right. The result is that James Bond always used the right guns and ate properly posh meals.

              -- Sidney.

              Recent Activity
              a.. 2New Members
              Visit Your Group