Our Religion is Sanatana Dharma
- Our Religion is Sanatana Dharma
By Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya
Sanatana Dharma is the Eternal Natural Way. Sanatana Dharma is singularly unique and different from all other existing spiritual paths and world religions. Sanatana Dharma is the most ancient spiritual tradition in creation, while simultaneously being on the very cutting-edge of present-day global change. Sanatana Dharma represents the very greatest spiritual and cultural achievement of the past, the present, and the future of Man.
Our religion is Sanatana Dharma: The Eternal Natural Way. We are Dharmis, followers of the path of Sanatana Dharma.
The practice of all followers of Sanatana Dharma is to conduct our lives in accordance with those natural laws (Dharma) that have been instituted by God Himself, that have been revealed in the Vedic scriptures, and that are designed to guarantee us maximal health, peace, joy, prosperity, enlightenment and total liberation. The ultimate goal of all Dharmis (followers of Sanatana Dharma) is to free ourselves of all illusion, and to reawaken our innate God-consciousness. This is achieved via the Yoga of devotional meditation (bhakti) upon the Divine.
1) Every aspect of the life of a Dharmi, both spiritual and secular, is guided by the eternal and perfect wisdom of the divinely revealed Vedic scriptures (shastras). We accept the eternal Vedic scriptures as our infallible guide. By definition, a person is considered to be a follower of Sanatana Dharma only if they accept in full the validity of the scriptures of Sanatana Dharma.
2) Followers of Sanatana Dharma accept the dual principle of karma and punar-janma (reincarnation) as one of the laws of nature.
3) Dharmis aspire to be ethically virtuous individuals, following the ten principles known as the Yamas and Niyamas to the best of our ability, in addition to the many other ethical guidelines of the Vedic scriptures. We reject ethical relativism. To know God means to be good.
4) Dharmis aspire always to be noble (arya) in everything that we think, say and do.
5) Dharmis do not consume animals, and are strict lacto-vegetarians (avoiding all meat, fish and eggs).
6) Sanatana Dharmis are guided by, and offer all our most reverential respect to, the authentic and qualified spiritual teachers (sad-gurus) of our tradition.
7) Individual Dharmis practice a consistent program of spiritual disciple (sadhana) given to us by our guru, guided by the Vedic scripture (shastra), and continuously confirmed by our own individual intellectual discernment (viveka) and inner experience (anubhava).
Our chosen spiritual path is Sanatana Dharma: The Eternal Natural Way.
To learn more about the path of Sanatana Dharma, visit Dharmacentral: