Fw: [GTF-Msia:476] Fw: Fwd: Cry for Sri Lankan Tamils too

  • Vejay Chin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2010
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: "rameshrajaratnam@..." <rameshrajaratnam@...>
      To: MTF <GTF-Msia@...>
      Sent: Tue, June 1, 2010 1:47:23 PM
      Subject: [GTF-Msia:476] Fw: Fwd: Cry for Sri Lankan Tamils too

      Sent via BlackBerry from Maxis

      From: "Dato' Ramesh Rajaratnam" <rameshrajaratnam@...>
      Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:46:53 +0800
      To: Rameshrajaratnam<rameshrajaratnam@...>
      Subject: Fwd: Cry for Sri Lankan Tamils too

      Who cries for the Tamils ?

      Almost all mainstream media carried the world-wide condemnation of Israel's attack on the aid ships that reportedly killed 9 human-rights cum aid workers. The local response was even more intense with political parties asking for UN sanctions against Israel and more. In fact, some quasi political parties even had a picket cum flag burning protest outside the US Embassy, all safely watched by FRU and police, thereby lending tacit approval by the Government of Malaysia.

      I do not support any form of violence, be it local or state sponsored. However, it pains me to see so much condemnation world-wide against the death of 9 people when it remains muted against the continuing state sponsored ill treatment of Sri Lankan Tamils ("SLT") in nothern and north-eastern Sri Lanka. Back in April / May 2009, the Sri Lankan government ("SLG") was complicit in murdering more than 25,000 SLT civilians and imprisoning more than 400,000 SLT in concentration camps. This news was well reported world-wide but sadly, received scant publicity in Malaysia.

      I may be mistaken but I don't recall seeing any mass protests or flag burnings outside the Sri Lankan embassy in KL. There were no strongly worded condemnations by the Barisan nor the Opposition although I am aware that a few Opposition leaders did lend their personal support to the institutions that were raising public awareness on the tragedy in Sri Lanka. In fact, then and even now, when world leaders have raised serious concerns on the violations against the SLT by the SLG, our government and its business leaders continue to court the SLG, feting and wining them even as recent as a month ago. These actions are repulsive and go against the grain of human decency. The SLG must be punished in the world arena and treated as a war criminal. The perpetrators of those murders and assaults should be tried in an independent court of justice and sentenced for their actions.

      While I'm sympathetic to the plight of the reople affected by the recent Israeli attack, when comparing the vastly significant attrocities committed by the SLG against the SLT and its supporters, I cannot help feel that the world and indeed most Malaysians, are, a hypocritical lot.

      Via email: Ramesh Rajaratnam