March planning mtgs 1 & 2

  • Denise Gloster
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17 8:30 AM
      Hi all,

      Hope you are doing well!  It is difficult to tell around here lately with this weather and all the problems both at home and further away, but I keep plugging away at my goals and hope you are workin it too.

      We are scheduling two meetings next week for the March4Youth group and would love to have your participation from the beginning of this project.  A lot of help is needed so if you can't make our meetings sometime soon, please call or email me to find out about how you might help w/o meeting attendance.  Also, please notify any friends or acquaintances that may have interest in this project.

      I know it seems late, but last year we knew a lot less about how to do this march and we did it anyway starting later than mid-April; in fact the first open and public meeting was scheduled for Mt Baker Community Club on May 2, 2008.

      FIRST MEETING:  Afrikando Afrikando restaurant at 5903 Rainier Av S (Hillman City), 12:30pm - 2:00pm on Wednesday, April 22, 2009.

      SECOND MEETING:  Tully's coffee shop at Genesee from 3:30 - 5:00pm on Thursday, April 23, 2009.

      I hope I haven't picked dates of other important affairs.  At these meetings we'll go over what we did last year and do we want to do pretty much the same this year, as well as who will be doing what.  I am fairly sure that most of you comprehend that I am a bit of a workaholic, but currently I am very limited to what I can do for several reasons.  Consequently, if we do not get enough interest and assistance in putting the march together it will not happen.

      Some important decisions for you to consider and provide input --

      What day will we march?  I am thinking June 27.  We need to check on what else is happening that day and get our special events application in.

      Will we march the same route

      Can you take a lead position on Outreach, fundraising, making contacts with resource table and jobs suppliers, creating documents, taking and distributing meeting notes, and if those don't work for you we can think of many other options.  For instance, helping with cooking at the event, stage management, and/or shopping, hauling, and delivering.

      Thanks and that's all the time I will take today except to say that Jennifer Duong compiled surveys from the M4Youth Inauguration Extravaganza and I will send them out to the list later today.  Thank you Jennifer!

      Hope to see you soon!

      Denise Gloster, President
      HCBA, Lead Organizer M4Youth
      206.723.4637
      206.795.5824

    • tamra smilanich
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17 11:12 AM
        Good going.  I think you said last year there was a drill team.  I would recommend making this maybe something like a parade-I don't know the tone you are setting if that is too festive but parades are not always festive if the participants don't look like it.